Pertronix Owners Please Read

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:02 pm

I wonder if the Hot Spark magnet rotor thingy will work?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

traveling writer
I'm New!

Post by traveling writer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:26 am

Any resolution to this problem? Has Pertronix replied? I tested mine and three cylinders were at 7.5, the fourth was at 4. :pukeleft:

busman78
Getting Hooked!

Post by busman78 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:34 am

Wow, did the test this weekend, 1=8, 2=12, 3=8.5, 4=9, Pertronix out, either points will be going in or a Mallory.

karl
Getting Hooked!

Re: SVDA Distributor?

Post by karl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 am

Amskeptic wrote: (you will get slightly better gas mileage with a Pertronix vs points)
I used to believe that until I read this yesterday:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/devices/pb218647.pdf

I cannot find any info on that Biap product..... except here:
http://www.save-on-gas-prices.com/gas_s ... ducts.html
Funny how they say "Although the studies are still inconclusive you might want to consider using or more of these gas saving products to save you money at the gas pump. The following products have been tested by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):" but if you look at the results, the Biap uses more fuel and the emissions are higher.

busman78
Getting Hooked!

Post by busman78 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:17 am

Found the cure for the Pertronix, really quick fix, installed a Mallory Unilite last night. Problem solved.

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 pm

I just checked mine, purchased from BD a bit over a year ago.
SVDA.
Am happy to say that all 4 cylinders looked to be the same, 7* btdc.
No blur when on the center wire.
Peace
'71 bus, stock running gear ex SVDA and pertronix

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:54 pm

busman78 wrote:Found the cure for the Pertronix, really quick fix, installed a Mallory Unilite last night. Problem solved.
Have you set total advance on the Mallory? Seeing any spark scatter at high RPM? Just wondering. Mallory seems to have slipped in their tolerances as of late.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

busman78
Getting Hooked!

Post by busman78 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Set it at 28 degrees max which netted 12 degrees at 850 RPM. Watched the advance from idle through total advance and the motion was absolutely steady with no drop or erratic fluctuations till max advance, remained steady at 28 through 4,200 RPM. Tested off the primary coil wire and saw no deviation. Now I purchased this Mallory in April 2007, due to family issues it remained boxed till last night. The test last weekend of the Pertronix and even after converting to points the little erratic readings warranted a trial with the Mallory even though this is not the engine it was purchased for. After this I will buy another, just hope the slip in quality was a one batch mess up.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:58 pm

I find the very most important predictor of strobe light scatter is far and away the crankshaft endplay. If that sucker is banging back and forth at .006, you have a couple of degrees rotation of the distributor drive gear right there. Get that endplay down to .003 (after our IAC famous patented thrust bearing tightness check with a real mathematical addition handicap: see; spiffy, somewhere around here, something about his bus, Bill)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

busman78
Getting Hooked!

Post by busman78 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:37 am

Agreed, so will slop in a distributor, up down or worn bushing will play havoc with timing, not to forget dwell. Weak springs in the points, like the Bosch ones currently sold for $4, the real good Bosch points cost close to $10 each, better spring better contacts. Oh yea, current engine has .0035 end play

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:54 am

So, I have the problem as well.

1: 8.5* BTDC
2: 8.5* BTDC
3: 8.5* BTDC
4: 12.5* BTDC

Number 4 has been taking the beating for the last 15 months. I called Pertronix and left a message...waiting to hear back.

Did anyone ever get any resolution for the problem from Pertronix? If so, I'd like to know who you spoke to at their office. I'm really close to just putting the points/condenser back in.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Update:

I got a call back from a gentleman at Pertronix. He told me that the little plastic shoulder that is inside the magnet ring can sometimes get caught up and cause the magnet to be slightly angled. He thought that this *could* be causing the problem. His suggestion was to check the magnet for this, and scrape out any excess/shaved plastic.

When I'm done with work tonight, I plan to check it out. I told him that several other people were having a similar problem, and he seemed genuinely concerned. If the magnet/unit turns out to be faulty, he said they'd get me a replacement.

Will let you all know what happens...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Post by RZAR » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Checked mine this weekend because of this thread and found #3 to be off 4* from the rest. I just bought my Pertonix 3 weeks ago. I am going to give pertronix a call . Thanks for the heads up.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:59 pm

For a better points replacement go with a Crane Optical unit...and you can't burn it out leaving the key on like with a Pertronix....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:18 pm

I changed my pertronix over to a Compu-Fire. Same problem with the same exact numbers! My dizzy is an aircooled.net svda. Could the dizzy cause these problems?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------