Should I rebuild this T4 motor?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Should I rebuild this T4 motor?

Post by gmag69 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:31 pm

I read about people wanting to rebuild another motor to have a spare just incase something happens. Well that got me thinking about the same thing. The 74 parts bus I bought awhile ago had a 77 engine it(atleast that's what the junkyard markings say on it) with 59,000 miles on it. I have no Idea how many miles are on it or even if it is a 77 engine. I know it has the what's left of the older heat exchangers on it .72-74? Here is the problem. When I bought the bus the motor was froze up. I have pulled the plugs and shot stuff into the cylinders hoping to free it up but it is still froze. I have since pulled the motor out and have it on a pallet setting in my yard. Here's the question. Should I try to rebuild this engine or just use it for parts if any of it is good? I'm going to rip it down after I get the Westy done and get the blue bus scrapped. Any thoughts would be nice.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:42 pm

I vote for a rebuild. You can do it very cost effectivly if you're a wise shopper.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm leaning that way. I have a ways to go on the Westy so this'll be down the road sometime but I'd really like to save it if I can.

Thanks bottomend for the reply.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:03 am

Try ATF fluid into the cylinders...then after a few days (plugs out) try to counter rotate the engine and see if it will move. I like removing the rockers so the cylinders fill up with ATF.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:44 am

Bleyseng wrote:Try ATF fluid into the cylinders...then after a few days (plugs out) try to counter rotate the engine and see if it will move. I like removing the rockers so the cylinders fill up with ATF.
I'll give that a try thanks.

bottomend

Post by bottomend » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I posted a vote for a rebuild but I think it would be interested to try and get THIS engine running in the condition its currently in as well. Your choice. Keep posting info as it develops.

And thank you for thanking me!

Thank you, bottomend

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:23 am

A running spare long-block is good for peace of mind.
Even if you blow the snot out of your engine and have to limp home from Winnie, TX, you've got a way to get going again almost right away--and that buys you time to overhaul the old one properly.
My 2¢ worth.

Rob

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:34 am

bottomend wrote:I posted a vote for a rebuild but I think it would be interested to try and get THIS engine running in the condition its currently in as well. Your choice. Keep posting info as it develops.

And thank you for thanking me!

Thank you, bottomend
You are welcome.
I wouldn't mind trying that but here is the thing. The guy I bought the bus off of wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to VWs if you know what I mean. The engine is missing almost all the tins. All that is left is the the piece that goes under the firewall and the tin over the cylinders. I have no Idea how long this engine was driven like that or if it was overheated or not. The guy said he drove it into where it was parked which he probably did but you never know.
I'd like to atleast try to get it to roll over and take the heads off and check it out. Thanks for the suggestions. I need all that input that I can get.

bottomend

Post by bottomend » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:50 am

Well now you've opened a can of worms! I'd say do a little investigating and then just tear it down. It sounds to me like you've probably never done a rebuild, right? If so, this is your kindergarden. Bearings, camshaft/lifters, gaskets, pistons/cylinders, headwork and a good cleaning. thats about all it takes.

If you dont know what all those parts I just wrote down do inside of the engine, start learning. Jakes video, The Wilson book, Idiots book and the Bently manual. Thats all it takes. ( and a few posted questions here, I guess!)

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:40 pm

bottomend wrote:Well now you've opened a can of worms! I'd say do a little investigating and then just tear it down. It sounds to me like you've probably never done a rebuild, right? If so, this is your kindergarden. Bearings, camshaft/lifters, gaskets, pistons/cylinders, headwork and a good cleaning. thats about all it takes.

If you dont know what all those parts I just wrote down do inside of the engine, start learning. Jakes video, The Wilson book, Idiots book and the Bently manual. Thats all it takes. ( and a few posted questions here, I guess!)
I've never rebuilt an auto engine before. I have rebuilt lawnmower engines though.(go ahead and laugh now) I know these engines are a little different then those but it might help out . I know the parts of an engine and what they do so I'm ok on that part. I've watched people rebuild engines but never did it myself. That is why I figured I'd ask about this before I wasted my time to just find out it wasn't worth doing. The engine is dirty from setting for so long but looks decent on the outside. Nothing looks real bad on it. I'll uncover it and snap a few pics tomarrow to see what you guys think.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:05 pm

gmag69 wrote:I've never rebuilt an auto engine before.
Me either until I did one. I've done three now. You can do it.

Not a lot of people have the opportunity to do it these days.
It's not like back when gramps put new bearings, valves and rings in his Model A over the weekend so he could drive it another 60,000 miles.
(Of course, he probably didn't have to pull the engine to do it.)

Rob

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:01 pm

I started on VW's when I was 16 in 1968...rebuilt waaay too many of them to call it fun but its still interesting. :cheers:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:19 pm

Oh I'll give it a shot. I'm not afraid to do it. I just wanted to see what people's opinions were on starting with a froze up engine. Like I said this will be a down the road project as I need to get the Westy done and get the blue bus ripped apart and taken away. Maybe next year. Just wanted some opinions. Thank you everyone for responding.

bottomend

Post by bottomend » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 pm

WEll, everyone has to start somewhere.... The first girl I felt up was as flat chested as me. I worked my way "up/out/around " from there....Make sure you get jakes Video. It's a huge help.