Timing, SVDA and Advance Curves.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Timing, SVDA and Advance Curves.

Post by Sluggo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:37 pm

My timing advances too much. I have the Aircooled.net SVDA. From what I understand it should be timed at 28* max advance with the vac hose off and plugged. Mine does go to 28* max centrifugal advance and settles nicely at 7.5* BTDC at idle. But once I hook up the vac hose the timing advances to 34* Max advance! This is too high right? How do I adjust the dizzy springs/weights to make so that I only have 28* advance.

I was reading this thread at Shoptalk http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... ry&start=0

Now I'm a little more confused.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:53 pm

I don't think that is too high, that sounds normal to me.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:53 pm

Well, the problem is that you cant adjust you're upper limit without affecting your lower setting. Start saving for the Malllory!

It tripped me out to read that old thread. ... Ah, the good ol' daze!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:31 pm

IIRC Colin told me that it should blip up to 40 or so when you goose the gas.

fido
Getting Hooked!

Post by fido » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:37 am

yep - the vacuum can add as much as 10 degrees extra when the engine is not under load. THis is a GOOD THING :) 28 without the hose is perfect.
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:30 am

When I got my SVDA I was reading alot about timing to max advance and the like and it became apparent to me that I was giving myself a mind f***.

I decided to slap myself back to the stock frame of mind and go for those tuning specs....
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:26 am

Thanks guys. I was thinking it should go up and then return to 28*. Then return to 7.5* BTDC at idle. I won't worry about it. Bus is running better and stronger than ever.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Sluggo wrote:Thanks guys. I was thinking it should go up and then return to 28*. Then return to 7.5* BTDC at idle. I won't worry about it. Bus is running better and stronger than ever.
Vacuum advance should hit 40*BTDC when you mildly blip throttle up to 3,000 rpm or so. On the road, when you floor the accelerator, the vacuum drops under full load, then the centrifugal advance is your primary advance. The Type 4 engines are pretty happy up to 30-32* BTDC on centrifugal only. Check at 3,200 rpm with advance hose off, duh course. When you are done, make sure centrifugal advance does NOT exceed your adjusted value when you rev to 4,000 rpm briefly.
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue May 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Amskeptic wrote: The Type 4 engines are pretty happy up to 30-32* BTDC on centrifugal only. Check at 3,200 rpm with advance hose off, duh course. When you are done, make sure centrifugal advance does NOT exceed your adjusted value when you rev to 4,000 rpm briefly.
What if it does advance beyond the adjusted value?

Would that mean that it is not fully advanced at 3200rpm?

If so should the high rpm advanced setting get made with a higher rpm to attain max centrifugal advance for the setting?

Curiouser and curiouser...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Gypsie wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: The Type 4 engines are pretty happy up to 30-32* BTDC on centrifugal only. Check at 3,200 rpm with advance hose off, duh course. When you are done, make sure centrifugal advance does NOT exceed your adjusted value when you rev to 4,000 rpm briefly.
What if it does advance beyond the adjusted value?
Would that mean that it is not fully advanced at 3200rpm?
If so should the high rpm advanced setting get made with a higher rpm to attain max centrifugal advance for the setting?
If it does advance beyond the specification, then the second question is answered by the first. You would want to clean the centrifugal weights and pivots and springs. You need to be dialed-in advance-is-in, at 3,200 rpm. Your immediate concern is to make sure that the timing never exceeds 28-30* at any rpm, and if you need to retard the timing, do it, even if the idle timing is now closer to "0". Idle is not half so critical.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tvargs
I'm New!

Re: Timing, SVDA and Advance Curves.

Post by tvargs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:42 pm

I just had a new (rebuilt) engine from Adrian @ Headflow Masters put into my '77 FI Type 2, stock most everything. There's a long story about it, featuring the amazing, truly exemplary, and unbelievable effort and service of Adrian Audirac and Kenny from Headflow Masters, but I will save that for another thread. Suffice it to say: those guys are worth EVERY PENNY and have gone ABOVE AND BEYOND what a reasonable person would ever expect - I can't thank them enough. =D>

So when we got the engine running, Adrian noticed that the timing went to 40* at 3000RPM, and pronounced that way too high. Without the hose, it stays below 30*. One thing we noticed when we took a look at the distributor is it's a fair bit dirty - my first thought was perhaps a good cleaning will help.

Reading the above post, though, suggests that the high advance shouldn't be too much of a concern. Without the hose, the advance stays below 30*, with the hose attached, it gets way up there. Any thoughts?
1977 2.0 FI Westy

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:15 pm

From Ratwell....

79 VW Bus

tvargs
I'm New!

Post by tvargs » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Ok, so that graph tells me that the timing goes far too high at 3000 RPM, and I have a problem? And that problem is likely the distributor? (It was suggested that my dizzy may be missing a spring - will have to take it apart to see. Seems like an odd thing, to have a missing spring, but you could fill entire libraries with what I think is odd and don't have the experience to know...)
1977 2.0 FI Westy

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 pm

IIRC, it is 28 degrees without vacuum max advance. With vac if you blip the rpms you can see 40 + degrees of advance briefly, picture you need a bit of acceleration to pass a car on the highway, so you lay on the gas pedal...

But it should pretty quickly settle back to the 30 degree territory...

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 am

With vac if you blip the rpms you can see 40 + degrees of advance briefly.
This is flat out wrong. When you get on the throttle the engine vacuum goes down not up. So the timing would not advance under these conditions.

If you were missing a spring the timing would come in sooner i.e. lower RPM but it would not go any higher than it otherwise could.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.