why would this leak?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Flint
I'm New!

why would this leak?

Post by Flint » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:12 am

[After taking this head off i found number 1 head to cylinder was leaking and wondering what would cause it?[image][image]
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 651 times
0.jpg
0.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Flint
1980 Type 251CT

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: why would this leak?

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am

The most usual cause of leaking between head and cylinder barrel is the typical result of thousands of heating and cooling expansions/contractions. Etremely diligent engine assembly can reduce this. Cleanliness, beautifully cleaned stud threads and cylinder head nut threads correctly torqued and checked after an overnight "settling", and careful break-in during the intense heat generated by parts breaking in to each other, all will help. Any subsequent engine overheat event will relax the clamping forces and require a cylinder head re-torque. I would recommend a prophylactic retorque regardless after about 50,000 miles if you are doing much interstate driving.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:20 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am
The most usual cause of leaking between head and cylinder barrel is the typical result of thousands of heating and cooling expansions/contractions. Etremely diligent engine assembly can reduce this. Cleanliness, beautifully cleaned stud threads and cylinder head nut threads correctly torqued and checked after an overnight "settling", and careful break-in during the intense heat generated by parts breaking in to each other, all will help. Any subsequent engine overheat event will relax the clamping forces and require a cylinder head re-torque. I would recommend a prophylactic retorque regardless after about 50,000 miles if you are doing much interstate driving.
When I'm doing such a head re-torquing, I am working on only the four nuts that are exposed when you're taking the valve covers and valve rockers off, not the other four that are shrouded in the sheet metal. Should I be taking the engine out and removing the sheet metal to get at those upper four? Or would the lower four be enough?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:40 am

JLT wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:20 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am
When I'm doing such a head re-torquing, I am working on only the four nuts that are exposed when you're taking the valve covers and valve rockers off, not the other four that are shrouded in the sheet metal. Should I be taking the engine out and removing the sheet metal to get at those upper four? Or would the lower four be enough?
Take the engine out, retorque the heads, replace the oil cooler seals, check end play.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:53 pm

It sounds like a spring/summer project for me, but I guess you're right. While I'm there, I should also replace the muffler gaskets.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"