My engine is out and at the builder. Clyde Maddox from the Athens VW Club will be doing the rebuild. I want a stock rebuild and am planning to continue using my stock dual carbs, stock air intake set-up, stock vac advanced distributor and a set of brand new Len Hoffman 1800 heads. The case is not yet cracked. The build is happening per the assessment of noticeable wear on the cam lobes for cylinder # 2, imminent head failure (loose heli-coil and cracked valve seal), and non-severe, but present oil loss. The original thread for my bus here.
Questions and thoughts:
- When sourcing a camshaft, what should we look for to match the stock application I am going for?
- I assume that I should look to use new push-rods and lifters.
- Any recommendation on bearings to source?
- With regards to the pistons and cylinders, when we looked at them the last time Colin was here we noticed there was still crosshatching on the cylinder walls. Should I have Clyde give me his assessment of them and the pistons? I know the rings need to be replaced at the very least.
- Drill and tap my gallery plug holes, correct?
- Chase/clean all studs and bolts, correct?
- Clyde will be assessing the case in general. Anything we should look for specifically?
- Rods, crankshaft, flywheel, and fan will be going to a local and reputable shop for balancing. Hoping to reuse all.