Shot in the dark...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Shot in the dark...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:47 pm

Any reputable machinists in Southeast Michigan or Northern Ohio that do good Typ IV work? Have a block that will need to be cold tanked, and line bored. Going to also post the question on the Samba, but figured I'd ask my 'peeps first. I know I can ship it, but prefer not to.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Shot in the dark...

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:47 pm
Any reputable machinists in Southeast Michigan or Northern Ohio that do good Typ IV work? Have a block that will need to be cold tanked, and line bored. Going to also post the question on the Samba, but figured I'd ask my 'peeps first. I know I can ship it, but prefer not to.

The best true align-bore test is to stick a boring bar inside a torqued-up crankcase. If the bar rotates evenly inside of .001" clearance, yer good. Align-bores can change camshaft-to-crank distance and render your cam gear useless. You do it if you have to, but I like to keep my German metal on my German metal.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:42 pm

okay. I can do that. Although won't I need a machine shop to do the cold tank, and polish or grind the crank?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:42 pm
okay. I can do that. Although won't I need a machine shop to do the cold tank, and polish or grind the crank?
Well, in due time. But why cold-tank the case if it is junk? Just clean the parting surfaces, torque to 25 big/13 small and send it in. If it passes the test, then it can be tanked. If it needs an align-bore, well, it will need a cleaning after.

The crank is an independent operation whose passage through the machine shop checking process will yield your crank side bearing numbers, ie STD, .025 .050. If the crank needs only a polishing, I prefer to do it myself. Then get it professionally cleaned.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:37 pm
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Well, in due time. But why cold-tank the case if it is junk? Just clean the parting surfaces, torque to 25 big/13 small and send it in. If it passes the test, then it can be tanked. If it needs an align-bore, well, it will need a cleaning after.

The crank is an independent operation whose passage through the machine shop checking process will yield your crank side bearing numbers, ie STD, .025 .050. If the crank needs only a polishing, I prefer to do it myself. Then get it professionally cleaned.
Colin
I truly love these bits of wisdom....and no, you are not repeating yourself - I took rather copious notes when you were here last summer - just read them tonight - this wasn't in there. :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod