hose from oil filler to air cleaner ... what's it do?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Re: hose from oil filler to air cleaner ... what's it do?

Post by JLT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Well, the problem is solved, I think. I got "the right tool for the job" and removed the oil filler and breather assembly. When I repositioned the filler so that the breather hose to the air cleaner cleared the "fresh air" tube, the tube that should go down to the sheet metal at the pulley was out at a crazy angle, sticking out at a 45 degree angle instead of going straight down. I realized that I had to bend the tube quite a bit to get it where it needed to go, but there was another solution. At the point half-way between the oil filler and the first bend (and if you're a purist, STOP READING RIGHT NOW!), I sawed the tube in half and reconnected it with some 3/4" ID vinyl hose from the neighborhood hardware store and some hose clamps. That allowed me to rotate the two pieces with respect to each other. That, plus the introduction of a half-inch gap in the two ends of the pipe, allowed the tube to go back down through the sheet metal just as it did before. I tightened the nut so that everything would stay where it should be.

I've test-driven it, and the vinyl seems to be working, and I don't think that pipe will get hot enough to melt the vinyl. If I get nervous, I'll replace it with some proper 3/4" high-pressure tubing when I can find some.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:17 pm

JLT wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm
Well, the problem is solved, I think. I got "the right tool for the job" and removed the oil filler and breather assembly. When I repositioned the filler so that the breather hose to the air cleaner cleared the "fresh air" tube, the tube that should go down to the sheet metal at the pulley was out at a crazy angle, sticking out at a 45 degree angle instead of going straight down. I realized that I had to bend the tube quite a bit to get it where it needed to go, but there was another solution. At the point half-way between the oil filler and the first bend (and if you're a purist, STOP READING RIGHT NOW ........................................ )
Well, thank God I stopped reading.
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Follow-up. I noticed that there was no one-way valve at the bottom of the breather tube, so I ordered one from CIP (their part #C16-311-541). The part they sent me was a no-way valve ... the bottom was sealed tight. I asked about that at Kombi Haus, and Justin told me to just give the tube a squeeze to break the seal. I did so, but the seal didn't break. So I got out my Xacto knive and made the slit where it was supposed to be, and installed the part. I also let the people at CIP know about it. They said that all those valves they'd sent out were supposed to have the slit, and that they'd go back and check their bins to see what was what.

I don't know whether this aberration is worthy of an entry into the "parts known to be unacceptable" ... hey, it worked after I fixed it ... but it might be worth checking on when you order that part from CIP.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Most of the road draft boots I buy have the slit. (I keep half a dozen with me and give them out at car shows when people seem to take an interest in learning how to keep their engines alive and healthy.)

About one in every four or five don't, but I can't keep track of which vendors/brands have made good on the slit.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.