10mm valve adjusting screw

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Re: 10mm valve adjusting screw

Post by Happyfolk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 am

Happyfolk wrote: The only 10mm valve screws on Bus Depot's site have the same exact photo as the Kolb screws on Pelican Parts site, so maybe Bus Depot's are Kolb? I sent a message to ask them if that is the case. $4.95 each.
I heard back from Bus Depot:

"Mike

Thank you for your inquiry. They are Kolb screws. I'm sorry but the supplier doesn't list if they heat treated or not. If I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.

Fred Vandegrift
Bus Depot Customer Service"

I also contacted aircooled.net:

"Are these valve adjusting screws made by Kolb, Dansk, genuine VW, ...?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/10mm-Valve ... 09-451.htm

Thanks!

Mike

Hello Mike,

They come to us from the supplier in bulk without any specific packaging or manufacturer information.

We've never had anyone report quality issues with this item in the past. Is there a reason you are seeking a specific brand?

Sincerely

Stephanie

Customer Care, Aircooled.Net VW Parts
"

So their glowing writeup of the screws they're selling on their site is based on..????? :scratch:

Here's the description of the screws Aircooled.net is selling:

"10mm Valve Adjusting Screw, 1.8 and 2.0L Type 4 Engines, Each, 022-109-451 are NOT the cheap adjusting screws that are not properly made nor heat treated! These are the highest quality adjusters available, for a long life and consistent valve adjusting! Old adjusters often get seized in the rocker arm, a torch and vice grips will get them out, but this method requires their replacement! Adjusting them regularly will ensure they are easy to move. Old adjusters also get irregular wear on the tip, and adjusting the valves can be a challenge when this happens. New adjusters solve this problem!"
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Happy, it's admirably thorough of you to do this much homework, and very decent of you to share your findings.
Thank you.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:35 pm

SlowLane wrote:Happy, it's admirably thorough of you to do this much homework, and very decent of you to share your findings.
Thank you.
Scott Lyons at GermanSupply.com came out of this inquiry smelling like a rose! He is the ONLY vendor that seemed to care about the details and quality of what he's selling. He carries the Kolb screws if they're OK for you, but recommends the VW screws which he says he and other vendors make less profit from than other suppliers. This particular part seems as good as any to investigate and see what the various vendors are selling, what they know about what they're selling, and what they're charging for what they're selling.
In Bus Depot's defense, they sell the Kolb screws for almost half what anyone else does. Maybe you just need to file them a bit smoother and they'd be acceptable?
The conclusion is that genuine VW is a steal if available at anything less than multiples of any other manufacturer's price.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Happyfolk wrote:Maybe you just need to file them a bit smoother and they'd be acceptable?.
If they were soft enough that you could file them smooth, then they would be too soft to be acceptable as valve adjusters.
Unless one was adept at the process of heat-treating and confident enough in the results. Me, I'll spring for the genuine article again if I ever need to replace the ones I have.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am

I'm going to be installing my new adjusting screws this weekend. Should I be putting a dab of grease on the tips once I have them threaded in?
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:37 am

THall wrote:I'm going to be installing my new adjusting screws this weekend. Should I be putting a dab of grease on the tips once I have them threaded in?
Yes, for all of the readership that reads this long after you went ahead and used grease because you knew that was a good idea.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles