Fan Housing Question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Fan Housing Question

Post by Psucamper » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:54 pm

1979 2.0l bus. During reassembly of the now cleaned engine I attached the fan housing to the case. At the bottom of the housing, the heat exchangers meet with
the housing and the no-return air aluminum flap assembly. The two sides are different in that the orifices ,while rectangular, have different cross sections. At the joint, there are metal caps that block loss of air and span the top of the joint. My drivers side cap fits well and bolts up OK. Not so with the passengers side. The cap
I have does not fit. I have several caps but they all appear to fit the drivers side. Are the cap parts different for left and right? If not I have a problem. Actual part(s) numbers would be very helpful. Thanks Bob L.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Fan Housing Question

Post by Westy78 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes the right and left caps are different sizes and shape. Seems I remember one side being wider than the other if you're looking at them from the rear of the shroud. In other words the width from left to right not front to back if that makes sense.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:28 am

Westy78 Thanks for the quick reply. I need that part or I'm stuck on this refurb. The hunt begins. Bob

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:22 am

If you are talking about the thin metal flaps, that mount on small steel rods above the openings, they are available from German Supply.
Right and left.
If you can't wait, I made a very serviceable one from the lid of a sardine can. I am only just now changing it due to my rebuild.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:25 am

Here is a picture of the home made one. I lightly peened it against the opening to get a better fit, and indentation.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:39 am

Oops, sorry...I just realized that you are talking about the cover piece that goes on the top of this part, and covers the little metal hinge rod. Yes, they are different sizes. how about a wanted ad on the Samba?

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks jivermo. Love the sardine can fix. I put out feelers to get that cover plate. Bob L

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

on topic of the off-topic post above about the little return flaps - what if your case no longer has a place to mount the rod to hold the flap in place?

I actually have both flaps, but the little grooves to hold the rod in place are long since broken off.

Can you just JB weld the rod in place, then hinge the flap to that?
1979 California Transporter

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Chris...I have the aluminum flaps themselves. It's the cover plate that joins the exchanger to the fan housing that I need (rhs only). Flap holders are in place and OK.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:29 am

airkooledchris wrote:on topic of the off-topic post above about the little return flaps - what if your case no longer has a place to mount the rod to hold the flap in place?

I actually have both flaps, but the little grooves to hold the rod in place are long since broken off.

Can you just JB weld the rod in place, then hinge the flap to that?
The shroud originally had ears with holes. They get eaten away by vibration and lousy fit. Vibration is bad.

Any solution is a good solution if it works. Be mindful that the flap edges must be slightly above the bottom edge of the fan housing when at rest, otherwise they will stick when the exchangers are bolted up.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:52 am

Since I just got my fan shroud back from powder coating, and had the two halves sitting here on the dining room table (my wife is away), I took this pic. The clearance between the bottom of the little rod, and the deck surface of the duct is almost exactly 1/8", if that helps you for your reconstruction.

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:55 pm

jivermo Thanks for the pic. Yes,it helps define the tolerances. Did a mockup with existing pieces and the next (and hope final) issue is fabbing suitable gaskets.
Found some old rear lamps sealing rubbers and cut out strips to match the cover plate. Want as good a seal as possible. Isn't it amazing how much time is spent on such minutiae? Anyway...ad aspera.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:54 am

Psucamper wrote:Isn't it amazing how much time is spent on such minutiae? Anyway...ad aspera.
Isn't it amazing the lengths a car manufacturer had to go to ensure clean heated air for the interior after that devastating Consumer Reports article declaring Volkswagens "conditionally unacceptable"?
ColinWe'reStillAtIt
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles