May the weather gods be kind.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Herrnkind's Engine Thread

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 am

ruckman101 wrote:May the weather gods be kind.

neal
The skies opened just past noon. That is the ceiling light reflecting in the pool once known as the "dry floor":

Garage floor had what is known in mariner's circles as a "current". This portrait beautifully expresses the exact sentiment:

Pistons and cylinders installed by 6:00:

Schedule is blasted. Today (Oct 8th) the heads and ancillaries. No time for me to do critical maintenance on my cars at the barn :shaking: :crybaby:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 am

why is the engine in the bus at this stage? Shelter?
60 beetle
78 bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 am

I was curious about that as well (engine in bus).

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Schedule is blasted. Today (Oct 8th) the heads and ancillaries. No time for me to do critical maintenance on my cars at the barn :shaking: :crybaby:

This will not do. Can it be revisited after the last appointment this year? :pale:
1979 California Transporter

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 pm

zabo wrote:why is the engine in the bus at this stage? Shelter?
My guess is that they are using the transmission as an engine stand.
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:17 pm

hercdriver wrote:
zabo wrote:why is the engine in the bus at this stage? Shelter?
My guess is that they are using the transmission as an engine stand.
Bingo! Engine stand.

I had to leave immediately after torquing the heads to an overnight 40 ft/lbs. Ryan will then un-torque back to 23 ft/lbs. We are looking for stable head clamping. We also discovered that the new AVP heads had the same problem as the old AVP heads as far as those wildly stuck spark plugs were concerned. Apparently, AVP likes to paint the heads. The first engine was assembled by those . . . . those unprofessionals who just cranked them in with an impact wrench. This morning, Herrnkind and I had to crank those plugs in and out with a wrench using way too much force. We had to repeat in and out with grease over and over again to slowly clean out the threads so we could eventually get fingers-turnable + final 1/4 turn or so with wrench. That is what any happy spark plug thread would ask for.

Will people PLEASE bark at their engine rebuilders that paint does not make the damn thing run better??
I had a time of it razoring the stupid paint off the crankcase spigots so the cylinders could seal properly. We also had to run a die on the cylinder head studs which were all painted with the same stupid paint as the case. Ya think paint might give you bogus head torque readings? I DO. Ryan's original engine had mighty loose heads by the time I saw it.
Who needs a painted crankcase? Who needs painted cylinder heads? Paint clogs the threads and screws up the torque values.

I stupidly opened a whole new can of worms right when I was leaving. Checked the end play on this "less-than-5,000-mile" lower end.
.015"
That is 5 TIMES the new end play reading, over twice as much as the wear limit. I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't do anything about it. I had to leave, sorry.
Colin

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 pm

1385707_669198503098560_1763559692_n.jpg
So tonight is like the first night in about 3 weeks i have been able to sit and watch some T.V./news. I don't know if that is good or bad. Anyway I have almost finished assembling the engine today. I torqued the heads back to 23 and assembled most of the engine. Friday i need to order a few things to finish off this project and as much as I want to be done and driving my bus I don't want to rush this. I am practicing patients. I am excited and scared all at the same time. One other question I have if anyone can help me with is when I rewired the bus everything seems to be working fine except #10 fuse I think it is the wiper motor and switch. when I turn on wipers the fuse blows. I triple checked wiring to make sure everything is wired the way it should be. I have learned how to read that wiring diagram fairly well so I don't know BAD SWITCH maybe? Its the only thing i can think of. Any ideas you may have are welcome.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:20 am

herrnkind wrote:
1385707_669198503098560_1763559692_n.jpg
So tonight is like the first night in about 3 weeks i have been able to sit and watch some T.V./news. I don't know if that is good or bad. Anyway I have almost finished assembling the engine today. I torqued the heads back to 23 and assembled most of the engine. Friday i need to order a few things to finish off this project and as much as I want to be done and driving my bus I don't want to rush this. I am practicing patients. I am excited and scared all at the same time. One other question I have if anyone can help me with is when I rewired the bus everything seems to be working fine except #10 fuse I think it is the wiper motor and switch. when I turn on wipers the fuse blows. I triple checked wiring to make sure everything is wired the way it should be. I have learned how to read that wiring diagram fairly well so I don't know BAD SWITCH maybe? Its the only thing i can think of. Any ideas you may have are welcome.
Your post is only 30 hours after mine and the engine compartment looks just about complete?

You found a torque wrench. You torqued the heads to 23. Rocker stands to 10? Intake/exhaust manifolds to 14?
Adjusted the lifters to 1 1/2 preload at each correct top-dead-center?
Distributor is in correctly? (statically time it to 0* for starting purposes, that means a simple test light on the negative side of the coil, timing notch parked at "0" on the scale, turn on ignition, rotate distributor clockwise to shut off test light, counter-clockwise until the test light just turns on, that'll do for now)

You sure know how to get it done . . . you could be my travelling mechanic when I go lame.
Colin

Replace fuse (8A only). Remove ground wire for wiper motor. Turn on wipers. Blows fuse? Short circuit upstream of the motor. Does not blow fuse? Short circuit is likely in the motor.

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:44 am

the S boot is in the mail. USPS says it should be delivered tomorrow. Good luck.

Lee
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

retro1302
I'm New!

Post by retro1302 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am

I am so impressed! A novice to an engine builder just in a few short weeks.

Colin.....maybe Ryan can become your Northeast Regional Representative.

1965 Split Camper
1971 Super Beetle Convert
1980 Triumph Spitfire

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Can anyone tell me where to find a good diagram of the vacuum diagram? want to make sure all the hoses are hooked up correctly. charcoal canister s boot I think I have it all correct but I would like to double check.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Might want to poke around over here.....

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:08 am

herrnkind wrote:Can anyone tell me where to find a good diagram of the vacuum diagram? want to make sure all the hoses are hooked up correctly. charcoal canister s boot I think I have it all correct but I would like to double check.
Let's make this a teachable moment:

YOUR ENGINE
Manifold Vacuum = full-time below the throttle plate to the intake ports = the nipple coming off the intake plenum

1) fuel pressure regulator 2) decel valve

Ported Vacuum = moderated by the position of the throttle plate = the front nipple off the throttle body

1) distributor advance unit 2) eec valve on the side of the air filter

Can it be any simpler?

(CA engines also may have a vacuum retard port on the rear of the throttle body for the DVDA distributors)
Colin :bom: