Herrnkind's Engine Thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Herrnkind's Engine Thread

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:16 am

Herrnkind, please keep me informed of developments. We are threading a needle through my schedule to show up October 7th 9:00AM. If all parts are there, and you have everything prepped (cleaned), we can get you up to a completed longblock.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 am

Well I received the P/L set today thank you. Cylinder heads will be shipped tomorrow from AVP. I have been cleaning things up and Prepping for engine install.

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 pm

1368638_663940636957680_1946802747_n.jpg
So while the bus is down and I'm waiting for parts and all I decided to rewire everything front to back. I had no idea what i was in for. After almost two day of staring at wiring schematics it started to make a little sense to me. I think I only maybe 3 more wires to track down. Tomorrow I will finish up the wiring it should not take that long then I need to put the gas tank back in with new hose for vapor parts. this really is more than I was planning on but i am not able to drive it so why not? It will be worth it in the end.

fuse box

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:29 am

herrnkind wrote: So while I'm waiting for parts I decided to rewire everything front to back. I had no idea what i was in for.
Good Lord, you're scaring me . . . I hope you get it all back together.
Weather forecast looks like rain is likely (phooey).
Can you set us up with a serious decent tarp AND method to ensure that the pavement is dry under the bus? No way we put pistons and cylinders on the open crankcase with rods sticking out while rivulets of water course through the oiliness. Possibly get bus in garage? Cleanliness and dryness and light are good.
Colin

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am

OK don't worry everything is all back together, I can't promise it will work, really I think everything is back properly. I cleaned out the garage so it is empty we can put the bus in there if need be. Set up tables with all the parts laid out to find easier. So I think we should be fine.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:06 pm

herrnkind wrote:OK don't worry
Colin is an unholy mix of "don't worry 'bout that 7 year old gas and, rat's nest in the airbox and chewed through wires... it should totally start!" and "Did you check the secondary part of the extra flange that we don't need to make sure the threads are all .005 and not .006 mm diameter?!!!!"

I would make sure you have 12 v to where you're supposed to have 12 v when you're supposed to have 12 v ~ that-a-way you won't be chasing your tail, and 12 v connections can all be done with a voltmeter, your wiring schematic and some time.

Wish I could fly out there just to watch it all come together. What we need her is a good old fashioned VW raising! All the neighbors come from miles around to wrench on parts, eat bad potato salad, crack jokes and tell Colin 6 different wrong ways to do what he's trying to do.

ML

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:48 am

Lanval wrote:
herrnkind wrote:OK don't worry
Colin is an unholy mix of "don't worry 'bout that 7 year old gas and, rat's nest in the airbox and chewed through wires... it should totally start!" and "Did you check the secondary part of the extra flange that we don't need to make sure the threads are all .005 and not .006 mm diameter?!!!!"

I would make sure you have 12 v to where you're supposed to have 12 v when you're supposed to have 12 v ~ that-a-way you won't be chasing your tail, and 12 v connections can all be done with a voltmeter, your wiring schematic and some time.

Wish I could fly out there just to watch it all come together. What we need her is a good old fashioned VW raising! All the neighbors come from miles around to wrench on parts, eat bad potato salad, crack jokes and tell Colin 6 different wrong ways to do what he's trying to do.

ML
It is the anxiety of the unseen and unknown and horrors! a cool puff of wind with rain drops, against being there and being able to assess the situation in real time. An Engine Raising. I like that.
Colin

herrnkind
I'm New!

Post by herrnkind » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:01 am

I was cleaning the push rods and push rod tubes last night they all looked good except one. On the end of one of the push rods it was gouged. It's getting down to the wire here bad weather coming no vehicle for work. I have enjoyed learning about this VW and getting into it but I don't know how much time and money I have to keep it running or get it running. I have wore myself out in the past two weeks 9am - 4 pm work on bus, 5pm - 1am work washing dishes, 2am - 5 am work on bus. I just hope I can get her running.
Attachments
1379264_667568796594864_190571970_n.jpg

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 am

No worries. You'll get it nailed.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:16 am

Pushrods aren't hard to find nor expensive Most folks probably have a few in their parts stash Just need to see if you have solid or hydraulic lifters as the pushrods are different
1979 California Transporter

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 pm

I have a set of used Solid Lifter pushrods if needed.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Herrnkind, I've been thinking about you ever since Colin told me about your bus. And I have prayed (no kidding) that everything will work out. Lots of good thoughts coming your way tomorrow. I know Colin wants to give it all he's got.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:50 pm

herrnkind wrote: On the end of one of the push rods it was gouged.
bad weather coming

no vehicle for work. I don't know how much time and money I have to keep it running or get it running.

I have wore myself out in the past two weeks 9am - 4 pm work on bus, 5pm - 1am work washing dishes, 2am - 5 am work on bus. I just hope I can get her running.
Push rod will do for now.

Make a dry cozy spot in the garage with electric lights and dry clean floor.

Don't even talk like that at this point. We made a plan, people have executed, we need now to do our part. Now that I see how much time you have given the bus, it is clear that you can handle two jobs and use the extra money to make your bus nicer incrementially,

You are responsible for keeping your own powerplant in good shape. That is your responsibility to yourself. Knocking yourself out with dashboard and wiring when it is the ENGINE we must attend to is merely an error in judgment.
See you at 9:00AM, serious thunderstorms coming in allegedly by 1:00PM
Colin

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Mid 90s today in So Cal; rain is coming here. I have spoken with the weather Gods; they assure me nothing is assured, but if possible, will try to shift rain west (what the hell, we could use it).

May the bus live long and rust slowly.

Lanval

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:02 am

Now we're talkin'!