Sussing engine parts viability.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Sussing engine parts viability.

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:50 am

Sounds in the park.. I recently sent a case to Brothers VW and it was $200 (Line Bore,90.5 Bore, and Drill and tap oil galleys)- I went ahead and purchase rebuilt and balanced rods from Chico Performance for $75 (no core) Crank was going to run 65 (?) but my core was no good, so a used turn one was purchased for $125

That is with no balancing yet. Balancing runs about $125 ( I suggest you throw the flywheel in as well for balancing)

It's fun...but not cheap anymore :pale:
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Sussing engine parts viability.

Post by Westy78 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 am

ruckman101 wrote:And another opinion from Todd, crafting those fine cases. Flat lifters fail because there is no longer zinc in automobile oils, that used to act as a lubricant. He recommended Brad Penn oil, or a Chevrolet additive, 2ddp. I haven't researched it yet, but thought I would throw it out there before I forgot.

neal

Brad Penn was a requirement with my Raby engine. It's all I've ever run in it. Make sure to get the green oil if you do use it. There are different versions but the "racing, green" version is the one with the correct ZDDP levels. Brad Penn is available from two local shops...

Schnell Automotive
1506 NE Lombard St
Portland, OR 97211
USA
Tim Schnell
(503) 285-3567
full line dealer
Dealer

Oregon Cam Grinding
5913 N. E 127th Ave
Vancouver, WA 98682
USA