CHT sender - replace broken ring terminal?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Brewcruiser
I'm New!

CHT sender - replace broken ring terminal?

Post by Brewcruiser » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:30 pm

I broke the ring terminal off my CHT sender. It it possible to buy and attach a new ring or do I need to buy a whole new sender?

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: CHT sender - replace broken ring terminal?

Post by SlowLane » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 pm

It's just a thermocouple. Ain't nothin' special. Just cut, strip and crimp the wires from the broken sender into a new ring terminal.

You may have difficulty finding a 14mm ring terminal, though. I remember buying a VDO CHT sender and being disgusted to discover that it was nothing than a stretched-out 1/2" ring terminal. Best of luck with your search.

I'll get on my soapbox now and rant about the whole idea of replacing the carefully engineered gasket that comes on your spark plug with an electrical ring terminal, which is engineered for a completely different purpose than being a gasket. Not to mention the fragility of the stupid thing...
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Brewcruiser
I'm New!

Post by Brewcruiser » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a shot (if I can find that ring). Rant noted :-)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm

SlowLane wrote:It's just a thermocouple. Ain't nothin' special. Just cut, strip and crimp the wires from the broken sender into a new ring terminal.

You may have difficulty finding a 14mm ring terminal, though. I remember buying a VDO CHT sender and being disgusted to discover that it was nothing than a stretched-out 1/2" ring terminal. Best of luck with your search.

I'll get on my soapbox now and rant about the whole idea of replacing the carefully engineered gasket that comes on your spark plug with an electrical ring terminal, which is engineered for a completely different purpose than being a gasket. Not to mention the fragility of the stupid thing...
I keep the spark plug gasket and slip the terminal on. No problemo.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:15 am

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote: I'll get on my soapbox now and rant about the whole idea of replacing the carefully engineered gasket that comes on your spark plug with an electrical ring terminal, which is engineered for a completely different purpose than being a gasket. Not to mention the fragility of the stupid thing...
Colin
Sure, but knowing you, you probably hand-milled the ring terminal to within .0005" of uniform thickness with a nail file and razor blade, then dressed off all burrs with a 2000-grit whetstone that you MacGyvered from the carborundum sand surrounding you in the desert you happened to be in at the time... :geek:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:37 am

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote: I'll get on my soapbox now and rant about the whole idea of replacing the carefully engineered gasket that comes on your spark plug with an electrical ring terminal, which is engineered for a completely different purpose than being a gasket. Not to mention the fragility of the stupid thing...
Colin
Sure, but knowing you, you probably hand-milled the ring terminal to within .0005" of uniform thickness with a nail file and razor blade, then dressed off all burrs with a 2000-grit whetstone that you MacGyvered from the carborundum sand surrounding you in the desert you happened to be in at the time... :geek:
Man, I had a feeling that someone was watching . . . :compress:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles