New source of digital gauges

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

New source of digital gauges

Post by SlowLane » Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 pm

I just stumbled across a new source of small, high-precision, configurable digital gauges from a small instrumentation company.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cPath=5_21

Gauge costs about 50 bucks and can be used for EGT, CHT, pressure, voltage, current measurement. They're teensy, a 1/32 DIN size that could be made to fit practically anywhere. They're also very precise, with a 4-digit display. I think this beats the much-admired Dakota Digital single-purpose gauges hands-down.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: New source of digital gauges

Post by airkooledchris » Fri May 31, 2013 10:23 am

which one are you thinking would work well for CHT? Does it take into account the atmospheric temperature like the DD do?
1979 California Transporter

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri May 31, 2013 10:55 am

Any one of them would work as a CHT gauge just as well as they work as an EGT gauge. The first four are the same module with differently coloured LEDs. The fifth one adds an analog output to the basic module, and the sixth one is a 24V module.

Keep in mind that a CHT gauge is just a thermocouple temperature meter, same as an EGT gauge. Unlike the Dakota, these units interface to a wide variety of thermocouple types (ie. J, K , S, E, B, T and a whole bunch more, plus RTDs). Yes, they include cold-junction compensation. They also can interface to pressure transducers, your LC-1 output, MAP transducers, etc. Highly versatile.

Take a browse around their site. They have lots of fun cool stuff. They even have an under-the-spark-plug CHT sensor that looks to be of exceptionally high quality: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=137

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:53 pm

Looks Good Slowlane!

I didn't see any long CHT thermocouples, the ones I saw had 2 meter cables. We would need 5 (or so) meter cables to run from the engine to the dash. I suppose we could make extender cables, but we would need to use thermocouple wire for that so we don't create an extra cold-junction.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 pm

drober23 wrote:I didn't see any long CHT thermocouples, the ones I saw had 2 meter cables. We would need 5 (or so) meter cables to run from the engine to the dash. I suppose we could make extender cables, but we would need to use thermocouple wire for that so we don't create an extra cold-junction.
Yep, you're quite right. But thermocouple extension wire and specialty connectors are readily available, either from the same outfit or from vendors like http://www.omega.com. In fact, it would be preferable to use stranded extension wire for the long run to the front of the vehicle rather than the solid wire used in the sensor itself, purely for flexibilty and durability reasons.

I think I'm gonna order one of these puppies. Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to mount it. Free space is getting to be a premium on my dash,,,

- Terry Pratchett

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:00 am

and how to mount it? it's not like your usual system of using the hole saw is going to work for this.

I always thought that repurposing the flip up ashtray on the AC Vanagon would be good for a gauge or radio acc, but not sure if this would fit (or where to put it on the bay)

Im putting a sender ring under the #3 plug of this new bus/motor im working on, and maybe this is the route i'll end up choosing for the gauge. just need the gauge and the wire (and maybe another sender, as this is the old one DD used to send out that needs to be enlarged, which im sure ill mangle)

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:48 pm

airkooledchris wrote:and how to mount it? it's not like your usual system of using the hole saw is going to work for this.
A very good question, one which I'll leave as an intellectual exercise for the astute bus or Vanagon owner.

One possible saving grace is that these things conform to a DIN sizing standard. The 1/32 DIN size uses a cutout of 45 x 22.5mm. I've been unable to turn up any ready-made 1/32 DIN panels in my googling, however, so I expect that one will have to make do with what's on-hand. Panel punches exist for the 1/32 DIN size, but the cheapest one I've seen is $400.

- Terry Pratchett

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:21 am

I'm going to install a pair of these (one for each head). I've ordered the little boxes they sell for them and will mount them side by side on top of the dash. I think they'll be small enough that they'll look unobtrusive.

I got the amber display ones.

Now I'm thinking I'd like to convert my dashboard lighting to amber - does anyone know of availability of bulbs that fit? LEDs maybe?

Jim

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:36 pm

SlowLane wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:and how to mount it? it's not like your usual system of using the hole saw is going to work for this.
A very good question, one which I'll leave as an intellectual exercise for the astute bus or Vanagon owner.
Oh, its time for holographic projection technology for your SlowLane Airbus Vanagon . A crashed Corvette should give you the essentials.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Oh, its time for holographic projection technology for your SlowLane Airbus Vanagon . A crashed Corvette should give you the essentials.
Colin
Alas, Rusty-Westy Vanagon is languishing in the driveway whilst I attend to replacement Volvo issues. Amazing what havoc can be wreaked by an inattentive driver behind the wheel of a 1-ton Econoline. :angryfire:

No-one was hurt, thank goodness, but step-daughter is even more happy to be driving a Volvo now.

Jim, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the gauges. I haven't ordered any of them yet myself.

- Terry Pratchett

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Correct me if im wrong, but if you were running a DD CHT gauge already and simply swapped out the guages - you could use all of the same existing wiring yes? (the signal from the plug to the gauge that is)

Im moving my current busses CHT gauge over to the 'new' bus - and I may end up leaving it in that one and swapping out my primary bus CHT gauge for one of these units instead.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:37 pm

I ordered two and they are now sitting on top of the dash. I have somehow damaged the thermocouple that is mounted on the left head but have been monitoring the right head for maybe a month and a half now.
In short - highly recommended!
Interesting to note how for the first 20-30 minutes of driving the temp typically stays under 300, and then ramps up and levels off in the 320-350 range. (I believe these numbers are correct and that I'm running rich, but haven't had time to deal with it.)
If I'm on a multi-lane highway and pull in behind a transport truck, there is an immediate temperature drop of 15-20 degrees.
My driving habits have changed a little, in that I am now much more likely to shift down sooner when climbing a hill, as the temps drop pretty fast when the engine speeds up.
As for the gauges - easy to hook up, easy to program, and they just worked right away. (I swapped thermocouples to confirm my other gauge works).
I called them directly and asked about the cold junction compensation, and the guy told me to look at the rear of the gauge and pointed out where the built-in TC sits amongst the screw connectors. He said that as these are typically used in industrial applications, it was a given that there would be CJC so he didn't bother to mention it on his website. I suggested that there may be an incremental market for him if he advertised this - and told him what I was up to.
I need to get some cooling tin off my engine to deal with the left thermocouple, and now as the camping season is winding down I may get a chance. It will be interesting to see the difference between the left and right heads.
It's a great thing to observe what's going on. I didn't expect I'd like it so much - my wife's into it too.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:39 pm

airkooledchris wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but if you were running a DD CHT gauge already and simply swapped out the guages - you could use all of the same existing wiring yes? (the signal from the plug to the gauge that is)

Im moving my current busses CHT gauge over to the 'new' bus - and I may end up leaving it in that one and swapping out my primary bus CHT gauge for one of these units instead.
Yes you could.
The Auber gauges allow any type of thermocouple; you just go through an initial setup where you tell it what type you have.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Can you splice a thermocouple cable?

For example, if I have an existing setup with my DD gauge, could I splice the line and feed both gauges at the same time?

It would be interesting to know how they compare in real time. Otherwise I could easily wire them both up, then do section of highway twice back to back, after swapping the thermocouple over to the other gauge.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:51 am

Yes, I believe you could mount them side-by side (or close to each other) and just hook them up in parallel. There wouldn't be an issue unless the two gauges had a low enough combined input impedance that it would load the thermocouple. However I doubt it would be an issue and even if it did affect the reading, both gauges should still read the same as each other.