Kubelwagen's engine meltdown

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Kubelwagen's engine meltdown

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

OK, so I'm pretty bummed right now.

Last night, as some of you know, I went out with my daughter to go to the Lab. On start up there was a knocking noise. Foolishly, I guess, I gave the "lifter noise" a chance to go away, and go away it didn't. Let it sit till today.

Changed the oil this afternoon and found a sea of shards of metal shavings - expensive looking metal shavings.

The goal at this point is to drop the engine and begin the process of opening it up and seeing what I'm up against. I've never rebuilt an engine and, to be honest, am sitting here not too sure I'm going to be able to pull this off. But, why not give it a try huh?

Thanks Gypsie, Frank and Guenevere for helping out.

Oh, and Guenevere's bus won't start so it's sitting in the driveway, sort of the extra dose as it were.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Re: Kubelwagen's engine meltdown

Post by Xelmon » Tue May 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Ohhhh man! That blows! :(

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Wed May 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Oh, Mike. I can sympathize. Makes you want to just heave a big sigh and put your head down on the steering wheel. Maybe shed a tear or three.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 pm

split it ! open it up...go for it ! It will be a challenging and empowering adventure....
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am

Kubelwagen wrote:OK, so I'm pretty bummed right now.

Last night, as some of you know, I went out with my daughter to go to the Lab. On start up there was a knocking noise. Foolishly, I guess, I gave the "lifter noise" a chance to go away, and go away it didn't. Let it sit till today.

Changed the oil this afternoon and found a sea of shards of metal shavings - expensive looking metal shavings.

The goal at this point is to drop the engine and begin the process of opening it up and seeing what I'm up against. I've never rebuilt an engine and, to be honest, am sitting here not too sure I'm going to be able to pull this off. But, why not give it a try huh?

Thanks Gypsie, Frank and Guenevere for helping out.

Oh, and Guenevere's bus won't start so it's sitting in the driveway, sort of the extra dose as it were.
You are on the Itinerary for June 18th. Forensics? Or will you be ready to do the case/crank/rods/pistons/cylinders build-up?

Who is Guenevere?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Guenevere owns a (somewhat battered but sentimental favorite) water cooled 83. The four of us changed the fuel lines (and nothing else) and now it won't start. What the heck is up with that?

Colin - I am on the Itinerary (will send you money ASAP). My goal is to be ready to start building up when you arrive, I'd really like your expertise for that stage the most I think. Here's the plan, for those interested.

This weekend, get the "shop" (such as it is) set up and things in order. Maybe drop the engine and get it into the shop, if not do that early next week.

Westyfrank has an engine bought as a spare that we have been meaning to rebuild. The plan is to split both of them apart and see which can be rebuilt most quickly. We'll get a parts list together and start getting it ready.

Rebuild engine 1 - hopefully with Colin arriving just in time for me to get the most out of his expertise.

Get engine 1 back in my van and get on the road. Go camping (dammit)

Rebuild engine 2 with WestyFrank so he can replace the rather tired one in his bus.

Complications:

1) Maupin. No VW at Maupin makes for sad kids (and me) but we'll be doing the drive of shame in the Mazda. I've been cooking up all sorts of mad schemes to try to get there with a VW, but they seem tenuous at best.

2) There is a possible parts van that entered the picture this morning. The engine runs (and has been driving) but is of unknown robustness. I *may* pick that up and drop the unknown engine in so that I can keep getting around town at least. Kind of concerned that I'd end up eating up too much time (and money) and not be ready for Colin's visit. Also, parts van storage is a pain. I could, in theory at least, get some money back on that venture. Anybody have a barn I can use for awhile?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Come to Maupin in whatever gets you there as there is no shame in having your bus engine go south on you.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Yes - we *will* be at Maupin one way or another.

So, Guenevere is back on the road. Best of all, she was the one who figured it out. Temp sensor is faulty. Cleaned and plugged in back in and the van started right up. Took some fiddling with the connector to get it to stay running, but a little handyman's helper and it at least got her home. These water cooled engines are strange to me. :)

Leaning towards getting the offered parts van and putting the running engine in my rig to get me around while I do my rebuild.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:Guenevere is back on the road. Best of all, she was the one who figured it out.

Leaning towards getting the offered parts van and putting the running engine in my rig to get me around while I do my rebuild.
Good for her.

Part of the Volkswagen Experience is being creative, asking a forlorn used engine if it might like another chance at some road time. You might find out that it really likes road time.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Fri May 10, 2013 9:09 am

Getting stuff together. Anybody have a parts cleaner they would be willing to loan me? I can provide beer!

mamasunshine
I'm New!

Post by mamasunshine » Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I am finally getting up to date on here. I am starting to get back into the swing of things. Sad to have to see my vanagon become a donor, but very glad to see it go where it's needed with the possibilty of rehabilitation itself eventually.
Would very much like to sit in/help/point at things and nod while holding a beer on some of the engine swap/rebuild sessions. There is much to be gleaned from this experience, I'd like to think of it as a positive and learning one.
"Never part with your dreams or aspirations. For though you may still exist, you have ceased to live." -HDT

'81 air-cooled autotran Cali tintop transporter Vanagon

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sun May 12, 2013 11:19 am

Plans are coming together. I am going to buy mamasunshine's Vanagon on Monday and have it towed to Mentalqtip's place. Weather and time permitting even drop the engine and transfer it to my place. Then Tuesday/Wednesday will be the big engine swap and get my van back on the road.

Once I am rolling it is engine tear down time, do some forensics and get the parts I'm going to need ordered. Relevant components to the machine shop, etc.

I started out overwhelmed by this, but am now humbled and overwhelmed by the support I've got from so many- thanks folks!

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue May 14, 2013 7:23 am

Plan for this evening, starting around 5. Pull the disabled engine out of my bus and get it into the shop so I can start the tear down.

Still looking for a parts cleaner and, possibly, an engine stand, but things are coming together.

Mike

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Engine is out! Thanks Gypsie, Mentalqtip, Xelmon, Marcus and Penn (for the beer fund contribution).

Tomorrow and Thursday is teardown and forensics.

Mike, you up for splitting the case?

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed May 15, 2013 7:00 am

Kubelwagen wrote:Tomorrow and Thursday is teardown and forensics.
Mike, you up for splitting the case?
What time Wednesday?
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.