Weird valve adjustment

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Weird valve adjustment

Post by Reid » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Okay, I just adjusted the valves on my bus. It's a hydraulic lifter 2.0. Some of the lifters are firm, some are extremely easy to push in, making it difficult to determine where the initial contact is. Ideas?

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Weird valve adjustment

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:13 pm

do em warm. run it for a few minutes until the clattering stops (if there is any) and then wait a bit for it to cool off and try adjusting them again.

you can adjust hydraulic lifters warm. the wait overnight process is for solid lifters.
1979 California Transporter

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

I actually tried running the engine and re-adjusting with the same results. I've never really done much with this bus, it just kind of ended up here through a neighbor's divorce. I know it's a low mileage crappy reman engine, but i dont know any other history. I'm beginning to wonder if the billiard ball noise in the bottom end that appears in cycles isn't related.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 pm

initial contact should be obvious even if they are soft or hard once you make that contact.

you just pull the arm back and forth a hair and feel for that little 'click click' sound/sensation. go a hair further inward and when that sound/feeling goes away - there's your initial contact.

if your re-adjustment found you backing out the same number of turns as you went in, and it required the same adjustment to get it where it 'seemed' correct last time - then id say move on to the next step.

could it be a loose cam gear? was the rebuild by one of the famed 3 letter places? (GEX/AVP)
1979 California Transporter

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 pm

I think it was AVP. The previous owner mentioned something about buying the longblock from bus depot. Thanks for the tips.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Reid wrote:I think it was AVP. The previous owner mentioned something about buying the longblock from bus depot. Thanks for the tips.
It makes no difference if the lifter is pumped up or not.
The "0" point we are looking for is waaaaay more subtle than pushing and pulling so hard that you compress the spring inside the lifter. It is a delicate push-pull just to find play, with a delicate click click click with your fingers and you turn the screw in with your fingers if at all possible to feel the instant of contact . . . delicately, so that you can then screw in the 1 1/2 turn preload.
ColinAnAppointmentIsInYourFuture
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks. That helps. Next question: what are the chances of a cam gear being noisy after warming the engine up for a minute? It sounds fine when the engine is cold.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Reid wrote:Thanks. That helps. Next question: what are the chances of a cam gear being noisy after warming the engine up for a minute? It sounds fine when the engine is cold.
Quite good, unfortunately. Turns out that a loose mesh gets noisier as the engine warms up and separates the camshaft bore from the crankshaft bore and the oil thins out.

Were you there when the cam gear was sized to your engine?
Colin

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:33 pm

No, the engine was in the bus when I got it. It didn't run when I brought it home. I've sorted out lots of fuel and ignition concerns to get it running, now I'm stuck with this weird knock. Should I be so hopeful as to think I could split the case and install only a new cam/gear/lifters?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Reid wrote:No, the engine was in the bus when I got it. It didn't run when I brought it home. I've sorted out lots of fuel and ignition concerns to get it running, now I'm stuck with this weird knock. Should I be so hopeful as to think I could split the case and install only a new cam/gear/lifters?
I would get another opinion. I had a thrashy mesh in the Road Warrior for some 60,000 miles or so until I finally went in and replaced the provided "0" cam gear from Bus Depot with a correct +2. In the name of getting rid of variables, I had taken apart the back of the engine to make sure the gear had not loosened on the camshaft itself a year prior. Although noisy when warm, a sloppy mesh is not a critical issue.
Colin

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Here's another weird possibility: when I tore down my AVP engine, I found that the cam drive gear on the crankshaft was loose on the shaft. It was actually rattling around the woodruff key. When I removed the gear from the crankshaft, the shaft journal showed signs of fretting underneath the gear.

My best guess for this scenario is that the cam gear was too large and was exerting continuous pressure against the crank gear, which gradually wore away at the crank/gear interface. I'm going on the assumption that AVP didn't knowingly install a sloppy-fit gear on the crankshaft in the first place.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm

SlowLane wrote: My best guess for this scenario is that the cam gear was too large and was exerting continuous pressure against the crank gear, which gradually wore away at the crank/gear interface. I'm going on the assumption that AVP didn't knowingly install a sloppy-fit gear on the crankshaft in the first place.
A more likely possibility is a galled spalled gear when removed. So frequently do people nick the crank with the circlip or the circlip pliers or the brass gear driver. A magnesium or aluminum gear has not a chance of exerting force enough to loosen a press fit steel gear on a steel crankshaft.
Colin

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 pm

This engine sounds horrible. I think I know what my path should be, now I just need motivation. Money, time and access to a building full of obsolete parts would help, too. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what I find.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Reid wrote:This engine sounds horrible. I think I know what my path should be, now I just need motivation. Money, time and access to a building full of obsolete parts would help, too. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what I find.
If you are going to take it apart, disassemble it like a CIS Wolfsburg forensics pathologist, look carefully at each component before your disassembly adds contamination to the crime scene. Don't even let the oil drain too quickly or let the engine spend time upside down. You want to see things like cam gear debris piled up at the bottom of the trough.
Colin

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Okay, I haven't accomplished much. I did drive the bus to pick up some large stuff at Lowe's today. The noise was there, as usual. I did notice that it hesitates on one cylinder when starting. When I got home, I did a compression test. Three of four cylinders were right at 135 psi, #3 has 80. It seems like the engine should turn over faster on the low cylinder, not slower. The valve stem heights all seem to be right on. There is a slight clunk at tdc if the crank is turned back and forth with the plugs out. Could the rod bearings be worn enough to cause the lower compression? It appears to have good oil pressure (idiot light), and the oil doesn't look metallic. I haven't found any weirdness in the strainer. Ideas?