Engine Locks after Flywheel Install

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Engine Locks after Flywheel Install

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm

bajaman72 wrote:You're absolutely correct. It doesn't owe me anything. I'll have the case checked before it goes into the fire pit.
.040" isn't that much with a Type 1. I bored one out a full four oversizes .1" and there were bearings available. There are thrust shims as well to bring endplay into spec. You would only need to do a comprehensive crack check at the known weak spots.

I do not recommend magnesium fires-for-amusement with this much magnesium. There really is no way to shut the burn off.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 am

Amskeptic wrote:I do not recommend magnesium fires-for-amusement with this much magnesium. There really is no way to shut the burn off.
Colin
Hmm, yes, sorry. It was irresponsible of me to suggest it (though the put-it-on-a-raft idea was intended to keep it away from anything else that might catch fire).

If it truly is beyond rebuilding, then maybe it can be sectioned to turn it into one of those cutaway models that they use in shop class to demonstrate the inner workings of an engine. I've always thought those were pretty cool. There must be a whole craft behind building one of those models.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Im pretty irresponsible. My wife has been trying to drag me into adulthood for the past 13 years. I live in the desert so no raft here. Probably after a baja trip in the dirt we will BBQ, drink lotsa beer, and bust the case up into pieces for the bonfire. A case will usually last for a couple days worth of camping.

I have about 3 or 4 cases to pick through. No sense in putting this thing back together with anything new if it's that far along.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

Have u ever actually tried to break a VW engine case with a sledge hammer? I did and didnt get very far. Just broke off some sections of the oil pan, these things are tough !!! I have a plasma cutter and have read that u can cut magnesium will it without catching it on fire. I plan to test this 1st hand soon.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Have u ever actually tried to break a VW engine case with a sledge hammer? I did and didnt get very far. Just broke off some sections of the oil pan, these things are tough !!! I have a plasma cutter and have read that u can cut magnesium will it without catching it on fire. I plan to test this 1st hand soon.
After, young man, after you dyno the completed and installed MOPAR engine.
Fun and games AFTER you finish your chores . . . and I don't want any lip either, or we'll put Repaint The 240Z on the list too.
Colin :blackeye:

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:22 pm

I plan on getting to the Hemi in the morning, I almost did today. I need to get it back together and running by April. I told the local Mopar club they could come by, my garage is on a garage tour and want them to see some real progress since the last time they were here. And someday the Z will get painted its a small car and will be easy. Need to patch and fix the body on the bus 1st. And finish painting this Challenger I've stripped to bare metal. So many projects and so little time and money.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:So many projects and so little time and money.
I hear ya. I am ready to barter Itinerant Air-Cooled appointments for a week in the garage to conduct maintenance/repairs on my chariots . . .
Colin