Death of a starter

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Death of a starter

Post by Sylvester » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Mine was slow and painful. At first I thought I had a dying battery, it was five years old after all. I replaced it, only to have no click the same day, pretty much narrowed it down then. Sometimes I would get the click of the solenoid engaging but not starter turn, sometimes no solenoid click at all. When that happened, it was time to push or use a decline. This starter was different than past ones, if you popped it a little bit it would turn over and crank. As of yesterday, I have a FLAPS Bosch remade starter, a new battery and the Bus starts on a dime. Now to finish dialing in the carburetor.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Death of a starter

Post by Sylvester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:36 am

I will add a trick I did here with the install of the starter. The top bolt installation takes some finesse to start the nut behind the fan shroud. Using American ingenuity, I duct taped the bolt from the starter side to the starter itself once it was in place. The bold does not push back out as you are gingerly trying to start the 17mm nut.

Actually the tape was Gorilla tape but hey, you get the idea.

(Not an endorsement, unless they pay me)
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Death of a starter

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 am

Sylvester wrote:I will add a trick I did here with the install of the starter. The top bolt installation takes some finesse to start the nut behind the fan shroud. Using American ingenuity, I duct taped the bolt from the starter side to the starter itself once it was in place. The bold does not push back out as you are gingerly trying to start the 17mm nut.

Actually the tape was Gorilla tape but hey, you get the idea.

(Not an endorsement, unless they pay me)
If, however, you have a 100 point Original Type 4 engined Bus, you can shove that starter bolt home from below, then use a small flat bladed screwdriver to hold a thread sticking out on the engine compartment side as you finesse the washer! and the bolt on the stud. The doghouse 1600 engine is a more difficult blind job. Chloe made it extra-difficult for me as is her want.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles