Ticking after warmed up..out of the blue..fixed!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drozdenko
I'm New!

Ticking after warmed up..out of the blue..fixed!

Post by drozdenko » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 am

So I have about 2k on a new rebuild..everything going pretty normal. This morning I get to work after a 30 min drive, I pull into the parking space and hear this slight ticking. I get out open the hatch and hear it, it's not super loud, not really a lifter tick. It fluctuated but then went away.. I took a video of it but don't have a way to post it here, maybe I'll upload it to utube when I get home. It almost sounds like a couple pc's of "metal" clicking or expanding/contracting...

The gauges (head temp, oil press, oil temp) were all normal and the bus was running decent enough to not cause any concerns.

exhaust leak?? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Lee
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Ticking after warmed up..out of the blue..

Post by SlowLane » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:53 am

Not to cause you undue worry, but a loose valve seat will make a mysterious ticking noise. At least, that's what lead me to tear down my last engine... :angryfire:

You say it's a fresh rebuild. What, if anything, was done to the heads, and by whom?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

drozdenko
I'm New!

Re: Ticking after warmed up..out of the blue..fixed!!

Post by drozdenko » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 am

No noise last night and all the way into work this morning so I guess it was the bolts to the fan..2 other ones were loose, one was tight. weird that they loosened up though.

I locktited them and bent the locking washer over against the nut so hopefully this is the last time for that.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------
The heads are all new, AMC then taken apart and rebuilt 100% by Gary @ Suburban Engine.

but...

I just went out during my lunch hr, started her back up and started looking around. the noise was there again so I shut it off and looked around with it not running. I found a loose bolt/nut on the fan. the nut was almost all the way off. I tightened it as much as i could so i should be able to get it home then take the fan off so i can get to the torx head on the other side. I'm hoping this was the noise.

at least for now i can breath again... :bounce:

Thanks.

Lee
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

mross
I'm New!

Re: Ticking after warmed up..out of the blue..fixed!

Post by mross » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:34 pm

If the ticking comes back, and your bus is automatic, pull out the little plug in the front left side of the block and make sure that the bolts holding the drive plate to the torque converter haven't loosened. I had this happen recently and it sounds really scary. When you put it back together, use blue locktite on the threads of the bolts and torque to spec.