Valve Train Noise from Left Side of Engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Valve Train Noise from Left Side of Engine

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the lash cap suggestion - I did not know such things existed! Are all air-cooled VW valves the same diameter? I don't seem to see any specific applications listed in the on-line catalogs.

I'd still like to know what caused this. Was the hydraulic lifter not doing its job allowing the adjuster to pound the valve stem?

Is there an oil passage in the rocker arm that feeds oil to the adjuster? If so, I'd better make sure it's open!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:24 am

vwlover77 wrote:Thanks for the lash cap suggestion - I did not know such things existed! Are all air-cooled VW valves the same diameter? I don't seem to see any specific applications listed in the on-line catalogs.
Here is Aircooled.net's lash cap offerings. They carry both 8mm and 9mm caps. You will need to know which size you need. Also make sure that your valve ends haven't mushroomed, as that would make fitting the lash caps difficult. Also make sure that the shoulder of the lash cap doesn't bear against the valve retainer, as that would transfer the load from the valve itself to the retainer, which isn't how these hins are supposed to work
vwlover77 wrote:I'd still like to know what caused this. Was the hydraulic lifter not doing its job allowing the adjuster to pound the valve stem?
Could be. Could also be an improperly heat-treated adjusting screw. Don't go cheap on the replacement adjuster. Bite the bullet and get the genuine article from your friendly VW dealer or a reputable online vendor. (I have no affiliation with Aircooled.net or any other vendor. I'm just being lazy in searching for examples. German Supply carries both the genuine VW adjusters as well as aftermarket adjusters)
vwlover77 wrote:Is there an oil passage in the rocker arm that feeds oil to the adjuster? If so, I'd better make sure it's open!
Yes, there is. Yes, you should.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 am

vwlover77 wrote: I'd still like to know what caused this. Was the hydraulic lifter not doing its job allowing the adjuster to pound the valve stem?
That ain't a pound. That's a contamination, a dirt particle that couldn't escape. That is the downside of no lash.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:46 pm

So all the noise I've heard from that side of the engine was the adjusting screw working on the end of the valve stem???

And.... and..and..... DIRT? In my engine? I'm ASHAMED of myself!!! :pale:
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:32 pm

vwlover77 wrote:So all the noise I've heard from that side of the engine was the adjusting screw working on the end of the valve stem???

And.... and..and..... DIRT? In my engine? I'm ASHAMED of myself!!! :pale:
I don't think that mangled chewed screw/valve stem interface is the cause of any noise. You merely stumbled across a "situation". After I leave the Carleton Michigan call, you and Sean will need to rope me in for a beer with your Westy and my brown-shambling-cow-with-the-less-shrieking-generator. The window of opportunity is a generous 145 minutes or so on September 2nd or 3rd, I think.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Between RSorak's question about lash caps and SlowLane's answer, I "worked" on the problem. However, I may have screwed myself out of the lash cap opportunity because....... operating under the assumption that all the noise was a hydraulic lifter that was bleeding down while in operation, I replaced the lifter (no issue with that).... and worked the end of the valve stem with my Dremel to grind out the damage and get the surface as smooth and flat as possible. But, I may have removed too much material and not kept the end perfectly flat enough for a lash cap to fit properly.

Colin, in any case, would love to meet up with you and Sean for a visit, if only briefly!
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm

vwlover77 wrote: worked the end of the valve stem with my Dremel to grind out the damage and get the surface as smooth and flat as possible. But, I may have removed too much material and not kept the end perfectly flat enough for a lash cap to fit properly.

Colin, in any case, would love to meet up with you and Sean for a visit, if only briefly!
Yikes! You can't do that safely in a working rocker/valve area, unless you had a totally hygienic plastic sheet with one hole barely poked through at the valve you were working on.

Yikes II! The stem tips are surface hardened, you really cannot just grind them. You may *need* a lash cap now, and may need to reduce its profile so it stays clear of the retainer and/or keepers.

Perpendicularity is important for keeping the lash cap happy. Your one (and big!) saving grace here is the hydraulic lifter will keep rattling and nonsense to a minimum.

Slow down, go methodical, do a cost/benefit/risk analysis.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Yes... I was in a bit of a hurry....

I was not as sterile as I should have been, but did do a major rinse of the area with WD40 after I was done to clean things up. The pushrod tubes were off so the holes provided a nice drain.

I will order lash caps. I measured one of the valves tonight. It is 8mm. Thanks!
Don

78 Westy

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:51 pm

I got some 8mm lash caps at Summit Racing's retail store today (35 minutes up the road), and a new adjuster at my FLAPS. I had to grind down the "skirt" of the lash cap so it would not hit the keeper. Readjusted all 4 valves on the left side to 1 3/4 turns, and it seems to be running OK.

But, even with the new lifter, lash cap, and new adjuster, the valve train on the left side is still louder than the right. But it does not seem to be the same metallic rapping that was in the video. Not yet, anyway....
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:51 am

vwlover77 wrote:I got some 8mm lash caps at Summit Racing's retail store today (35 minutes up the road), and a new adjuster at my FLAPS. I had to grind down the "skirt" of the lash cap so it would not hit the keeper. Readjusted all 4 valves on the left side to 1 3/4 turns, and it seems to be running OK.

But, even with the new lifter, lash cap, and new adjuster, the valve train on the left side is still louder than the right. But it does not seem to be the same metallic rapping that was in the video. Not yet, anyway....
I will be passing through your area . . .
Grinding down the lash cap skirts is a violent no-no. They are all you have to keep the lash caps in place when the occasional not-pumped-up lifer gives you the clackity-clack cold start. If the lash caps were interfering with the retainers, then the valves have already been ground down at some prior point? I would like to hear this engine and see what is going on in there. I am getting nervous.
Colin