stuck end play shims on crankshaft for two liter '77 bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

stuck end play shims on crankshaft for two liter '77 bus

Post by mentalQtip » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Back again. After trying three new shims and finding that somehow I miscalculated and have gone from 8 thousandths to 9 thousandths, I find that I can't get the new shims out again. Stuck and no movement at all. I'm afraid to pry on them for fear of damaging something. What have I done wrong here? Beginning to feel stupid here. I keep thinking its got to be easier than I'm making this.

Thanks

Joseph

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Re: stuck end play shims on crankshaft for two liter '77 bus

Post by mentalQtip » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Ok, slight rotation. Maybe 3/16 in. Other than that nothing. The original shims slid off easily so I just slid(0k, slight push) the new ones on and that was it, stuck.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm

They punch out those pieces of $h!t and don't grind the burrs off like in the good old days. Now they stick on the shafts like a tricycle nut.
Maybe try a strong magnet and/or very gentle heat and rocking back and forth. May end up prying them off after all, but then they're ruined.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Or..... Find that they weren't there at all and I must have taken then out and have no memory of doing so. Worries me that I don't remember. But there they were on the floor.
Hippie. Thanks for the suggestions.

Joseph

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:58 pm

They might have come out stuck to the flywheel when you pulled it off, then fell off when you didn't notice.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:20 am

mentalQtip wrote:Or..... Find that they weren't there at all and I must have taken then out and have no memory of doing so. Worries me that I don't remember. But there they were on the floor.
Hippie. Thanks for the suggestions.

Joseph
Now there is something I can identify with.
(Still, feel for burrs before you put them back on. The new ones are often crap. The Burrs at the edges can make them stack too high until they wear down after a little use, then they not may not be thick enough to keep endplay where you want it.)

cheers,
Rob