metal in engine oil

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

metal in engine oil

Post by mentalQtip » Fri May 18, 2012 6:07 pm

OK. '77 2 liter. Drained the oil and cleaned the screen etc. in a plastic tub. Poured the dirty mineral spirits in a jug and find quite an amount of metal left in the tub. Crap. Looked shiny strips and chips.
My first thought is of the camshaft and followers. Second is that I'm not driving this engine to Maupin this year. Any cheerful thoughts out there? Please?
Also, how could I evaluate a used replacement engine? Push/pull the crank pulley for "clunk"? Turn the engine and just listen for alien noises? Other considerations?
I'm trying to clean up a spare engine from another bus('77) but don't really know the condition except I thought it ran ok when I drove it two years ago.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: metal in engine oil

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 18, 2012 7:24 pm

mentalQtip wrote:OK. '77 2 liter. Drained the oil and cleaned the screen etc. in a plastic tub. Poured the dirty mineral spirits in a jug and find quite an amount of metal left in the tub. Crap. Looked shiny strips and chips.
My first thought is of the camshaft and followers. Second is that I'm not driving this engine to Maupin this year. Any cheerful thoughts out there? Please?
Also, how could I evaluate a used replacement engine? Push/pull the crank pulley for "clunk"? Turn the engine and just listen for alien noises? Other considerations?
I'm trying to clean up a spare engine from another bus('77) but don't really know the condition except I thought it ran ok when I drove it two years ago.

Any thoughts appreciated.
How many miles since the last time you cleaned the strainer plate?
Who rebuilt it? Do you know what brand parts were used? How is the engine running? How many miles on it? Any strange valve adjustment variations or repeat offenders? Any weird noises?

You need to distinguish between a slow onset and a quick onset of this debris. I would pull a couple of lifters and look at the bottoms. Keep them indexed to the hole they belong in. If they are torn up and pitted, you do not want the camshaft to get wrecked. Replacement Febi lifters are about $180.00 for eight (though that was several years ago), you will need to do a typical camshaft break-in with new lifters just installed. Then drive it with a keen ear out for noises or difficult starting. Change the oil and clean the strainer plate again. If no metal, drive and drive.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Fri May 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks Colin.

Probably I cleaned the screen about eight thousand miles ago.
"rebuilt"? You mean the engine? No idea or how many miles since then. I've driven it about thirty thousand miles, I think.
It was running the best ever a few thousand miles ago and starting the best ever. Turn the key and it was running. Then it didn't start quite as well, cranked a bit, and then didn't feel as strong.
The last valve check the #4 exhaust was real tight.

Do I understand that I can pull the lifters without pulling the engine?

Thanks

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:14 am

You do understand. Yes.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 19, 2012 12:48 pm

mentalQtip wrote:Thanks Colin.

Probably I cleaned the screen about eight thousand miles ago.
"rebuilt"? You mean the engine? No idea or how many miles since then. I've driven it about thirty thousand miles, I think.
It was running the best ever a few thousand miles ago and starting the best ever. Turn the key and it was running. Then it didn't start quite as well, cranked a bit, and then didn't feel as strong.
The last valve check the #4 exhaust was real tight.

Do I understand that I can pull the lifters without pulling the engine?

Thanks
Assuming that your engine doesn't grenade, we have an appointment on July 30th. Get your to-do list to my PM inbox!
Colin!!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun May 20, 2012 10:11 am

and what kind of oil have you been using?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sun May 20, 2012 3:33 pm

I've been using Castrol GTX 20-50, only because I think Muir said he used Castrol.
I should also add that the engine is showing signs of age/wear.

#1 75lb
#2 135
#3 130
#4 140

and drips/uses alot of oil, as in something like one quart in 1-2 hundred miles.

It needs alot of help.

gratitude here.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sun May 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Oh man... That blows man, I wish I could help.

Come down to the Lab tomorrow, we meessss u!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon May 21, 2012 6:14 am

Well, when you did the compression test did you squirt some oil into #1 and retest to see if the number got better? If it does then the rings are wearing in it. If not the #1 valves are starting to have a problem and should be repaired before there a bigger problem.

These days the modern oils are lacking in the zinc additive so run a high zinc oil such as Brad Penn (the Green oil) which is the "old" formulation for flat lifter engines including 'merican V8 and VW's.
I would be interesting to pull the lifters to see how they look and a way to also redo the pushrod seals at the same time. The lifters should be all the same length and not have a concave face.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

A squirt of oil into #1 raised the compression some. I'm going to try pulling the pushrod tubes and followers per Colin and go from there.

I'll look into the Brad Penn oil. Thanks

Joseph

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon May 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Geno loves Brad Penn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrWUF1C ... ure=relmfu

I usually get mine by the case on that auction site...excellent stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190516736447?ss ... 1423.l2649
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Ok. Pleading dumb ignorance here. What is the procedure for getting the pushrod tubes out and the followers out? What is the easiest way to do this not damaging the tubes?
Tristessa has already said he thinks that the metal I found in the oil looks like from a bearing. ugh. Double ugh.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 22, 2012 5:07 am

mentalQtip wrote:Ok. Pleading dumb ignorance here. What is the procedure for getting the pushrod tubes out and the followers out? What is the easiest way to do this not damaging the tubes?
Tristessa has already said he thinks that the metal I found in the oil looks like from a bearing. ugh. Double ugh.
A light squeeze with small visegrips where the tube widens just before it enters the head. Twist the tube and push towards head. It should eventually pop loose from the case. Remove visegrips and pull tube out. The lifter can be pulled out with your finger. May need to clean bore with carb cleaner so there is no "varnish ridge".
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue May 22, 2012 5:48 am

Amskeptic wrote:The lifter can be pulled out with your finger.
A magnet-on-a-stick works well too.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!