oil filler neck oil leak

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

oil filler neck oil leak

Post by whc03grady » Sat May 12, 2012 8:34 am

Okay, give it to me straight: this particular oil leak isn't fixable engine-in, right?

I didn't think so.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: oil filler neck oil leak

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 am

whc03grady wrote:Okay, give it to me straight: this particular oil leak isn't fixable engine-in, right?
I didn't think so.
Help us out here a bit . . . is this the Type 4 engine? The Type 3 engine photographs very similarly up this close but for that cable which has me all disoriented. We are in a technical forum here that requires that you identify the vehicle so we don't confuse our vast . . . coughcough . . . readership.

Yes, it is repairable in the car. Think fluidly and positively. If it seems too tight a spot, it takes only minutes to loosen the engine mount 14mm nuts and jack the engine a bit to help clear the carrier so you can do a clean gasket replacement with Permatex Aviation please. The 13mm nuts will punish you if you negatively choose to round off their edges.

Do not preemptively don't think so . . . :scratch:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat May 12, 2012 9:29 am

Amskeptic wrote: Help us out here a bit . . . is this the Type 4 engine? The Type 3 engine photographs very similarly up this close but for that cable which has me all disoriented. We are in a technical forum here that requires that you identify the vehicle so we don't confuse our vast . . . coughcough . . . readership.

Yes, it is repairable in the car. Think fluidly and positively. If it seems too tight a spot, it takes only minutes to loosen the engine mount 14mm nuts and jack the engine a bit to help clear the carrier so you can do a clean gasket replacement with Permatex Aviation please. The 13mm nuts will punish you if you negatively choose to round off their edges.
Sorry, it is a Type 4 engine. That cable is the coughcough thermostat cable.
Amskeptic wrote:Do not preemptively don't think so . . . :scratch:
Colin
It's my nature. It's a wonder I ever left the womb.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 12, 2012 9:39 am

whc03grady wrote: It's my nature. It's a wonder I ever left the womb.
I have days like that. The cable is making no sense to me. It is supposed to be higher than that, coming around a pulley in a different plane than I have interpreted this picture.
Ah well.
ColinOldAge

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat May 12, 2012 9:50 am

Amskeptic wrote:The cable is making no sense to me.
I should've expounded on my coughing. The cable likely makes no sense to you because its nether end isn't attached to anything; specifically, it is not attached to a thermostat, given that all my thermostats are in the garage and broken.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat May 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Yes you can. I did. It's not easy. It seems nothing worthwhile is. Remove the upper part of the oil filler cap assembly. Vise grips squeezing the clamp ring helps a lot. Then remove the foam seal enough so you can remove the piece of tin that goes around the lower part of the oil filler tube. With all of that out of the way it gets easier. While you're at it replace the dipstick boot. It looks like this...
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun May 13, 2012 8:34 am

yes, it fixable in the car. Usually its leaking somewhere else thou and it just looks like it there. As Dick says pull and seal everything in that area at the time you do the work. That way if it still is leaking or appears to be leaking you know its not that those that you just sealed.
God Da*m fan blows oil everywhere so when there is a leak its tough to fix or locate.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am

Bleyseng wrote:yes, it fixable in the car. Usually its leaking somewhere else thou and it just looks like it there. As Dick says pull and seal everything in that area at the time you do the work. That way if it still is leaking or appears to be leaking you know its not that those that you just sealed.
God Da*m fan blows oil everywhere so when there is a leak its tough to fix or locate.
I'm pretty certain it is leaking at the underside of the filler neck/case interface because I very closely inspected it when I changed the oil and there's no oil or oiliness above it. Also, the engine is pretty damn clean otherwise.

There also appears to be a smaller leak where the oil filter whaddayacallit, mouting? the thing the oil filter screws onto? where THAT thing mates to the case.

Neither of these leaks seem very big (though I don't like oil leaks and will be fixing them when I can; "VWs don't leak oil, they just mark their spot" my arse) and have only managed to contaminate their immediate surroundings.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 14, 2012 7:36 am

whc03grady wrote: There also appears to be a smaller leak where the oil filter whaddayacallit, mouting? the thing the oil filter screws onto? where THAT thing mates to the case.
The BobD has that very issue. It is a little skinny paper gasket with big holes dealing with high pressure oil. I clean it every two days when I am driving the BobD, so mortified am I that it leaks.
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon May 14, 2012 7:57 am

Others may howl in dissent, but I have had FANTASTIC luck with no oil leaks on my newly rebuilt engine by the simple fact that I used Permatex Aviation sealant on all of the little skinny paper gaskets Colin mentioned. In fact I'm pretty sure there's almost as much Permatex in that engine as there is metal. The only place my engine leaks (leak is really too strong of a word) is the plate that holds the oil strainer... where I did NOT use any type of sealant.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 18, 2012 8:18 am

dtrumbo wrote:Others may howl in dissent, but I have had FANTASTIC luck with no oil leaks on my newly rebuilt engine by the simple fact that I used Permatex Aviation sealant on all of the little skinny paper gaskets Colin mentioned. In fact I'm pretty sure there's almost as much Permatex in that engine as there is metal. The only place my engine leaks (leak is really too strong of a word) is the plate that holds the oil strainer... where I did NOT use any type of sealant.
I am a big fan of Permatex Aviation . . . alas, I was not there on the engine assembly line that fine day in May of 1979 when the BobD was built.
Colin