Engine reassembly- Help! Where does this go!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

Engine reassembly- Help! Where does this go!

Post by the miz » Fri May 11, 2012 11:43 am

In an effort to eliminate (or at least minimize) an oil leak in my '82 Vanagon, I pulled the engine and partially disassembled to clean it up a bit and see if I could find any "hanging chads". Well- I may have found a few culprits-I replaced a few seals and am now reassembling in preparation to put the engine back in to see if what I have done is successful. One problem...this project has stretched out over 3 weeks, and there is one piece that I am struggling with...for the life of me, I can not remember from whence it came... can anyone please tell me where this goes:
vw piece 001.jpg
vw piece 001.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
I have consulted Bentley, and only find it pictured on 19.2-and it doesn't really help.
Thanks!
1982 Westy- Vana White

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: Engine reassembly- Help! Where does this go!

Post by Gypsie » Fri May 11, 2012 4:37 pm

That piece is a bracket that connects to the heat exchanger and the fan housing, I believe. I will take a look at mine when I get off work but I think it is the passenger side under the alternator area. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Do you have anything connected to the heatexchanger manifold (where the muffler connects to the heat exchanger)? I think once you get under there you will see where it goes. I think there will be some tin wrastling to get it in....

Where are you?
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri May 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Gypsie wrote:That piece is a bracket that connects to the heat exchanger and the fan housing, I believe. I will take a look at mine when I get off work but I think it is the passenger side under the alternator area. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Do you have anything connected to the heatexchanger manifold (where the muffler connects to the heat exchanger)? I think once you get under there you will see where it goes. I think there will be some tin wrastling to get it in....

Where are you?
Thanks a bunch! I knew it came from the alternator side...in the general vicinity of the alternator, and had a sneaking suspicion that it needed to go back on either before the fan housing or the tin. So, before I pulled them back off again I thought I'd see if someone knew for sure...if you do have a pic-that would be great too(- it being worth 1K words and all)! Much appreciated!
ps I am in MN- Twin Cities.
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri May 18, 2012 11:17 am

the miz wrote:
Gypsie wrote:That piece is a bracket that connects to the heat exchanger and the fan housing, I believe. I will take a look at mine when I get off work but I think it is the passenger side under the alternator area. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Where are you?
Thanks a bunch! I knew it came from the alternator side...in the general vicinity of the alternator, and had a sneaking suspicion that it needed to go back on either before the fan housing or the tin. So, before I pulled them back off again I thought I'd see if someone knew for sure...if you do have a pic-that would be great too(- it being worth 1K words and all)! Much appreciated!
ps I am in MN- Twin Cities.
Thanks again Gypsie, the "mystery bracket" has been reintegrated into my engine.
vwpiece 001.JPG
vwpiece 001.JPG (82.65 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
...now to get the engine back in, go for a drive and see if the oil leak is still there.
1982 Westy- Vana White

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am

Cripes....I sooooo spaced this off. Sorry. glad you got it figgered.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....