Hoover bits and air vanes and thermostats, oh my!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Hoover bits and air vanes and thermostats, oh my!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 am

While browsing for Hoover Bit, I came across this fellow's web site : http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/

He seems dedicated to providing high-quality cooling solutions to the discerning air-cooled VW owner. Prices seem reasonable, too. He even has thermostats for type IV engines!

Anyone used his stuff? Worthwhile putting in "Acceptable Parts" sticky?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Hoover bits and air vanes and thermostats, oh my!

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:15 pm

SlowLane wrote:While browsing for Hoover Bit, I came across this fellow's web site : http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/

He seems dedicated to providing high-quality cooling solutions to the discerning air-cooled VW owner. Prices seem reasonable, too. He even has thermostats for type IV engines!

Stick it in there with a recommendation to provide us feedback if they go ahead and use them.
Colin
(I do *not* recommend using the 36 hp style shrouds with heater outlets in buses. Use the oem VW fan housings)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bigbore
I'm New!

Post by bigbore » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote:While browsing for Hoover Bit, I came across this fellow's web site : http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/

Stick it in there with a recommendation to provide us feedback if they go ahead and use them.
Colin
(I do *not* recommend using the 36 hp style shrouds with heater outlets in buses. Use the oem VW fan housings)
I second that one. as far as tin go's I go through ALOT of trouble fixing old tin because nothing I have found nothing fits or works as well as stock. Now I have heard (I haven't tryed any of his parts yet) that when it comes to type 4 custom tin work massive type 4 is the shit but Jake Raby go's way high tech when it comes to his stuff. I would have to say there is some nice stuff on that awesome website.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 am

bigbore wrote: Now I have heard (I haven't tryed any of his parts yet) that when it comes to type 4 custom tin work massive type 4 is the shit but Jake Raby goes way high tech when it comes to his stuff.
I admire Jake's work a great deal in today's shoddy WalMart (now with bribery investigations!) World.
I say that after having driven several of his engines.
There is a price for that kind of quality . . .

I am more into automotive boots that might look like hell but keeps on keeping on.
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:44 am

when nobody had the type4 thermostats available a while back I got and adapted one of those bug ones and connected it. it's still holding up great, but it opens at a cooler temperature than the bus ones.
for some reason they show the 914 specific ones opening up at an even warmer temperature.

I live on the coast. It's more or less always cold here.

would it behoov(er) me to switch to the stock or even 914 one, and stash the beetle one in the parts bin?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 pm

airkooledchris wrote:when nobody had the type4 thermostats available a while back I got and adapted one of those bug ones and connected it. it's still holding up great, but it opens at a cooler temperature than the bus ones.
for some reason they show the 914 specific ones opening up at an even warmer temperature.

I live on the coast. It's more or less always cold here.

would it behoov(er) me to switch to the stock or even 914 one, and stash the beetle one in the parts bin?
It is not "Porsche" specificity, it is fuel injection specificity. The difference between 150* and 190* is about a minute underway, relax.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:18 pm

some engineer thought it was a good idea, and they could have saved thousands by only making one to cover all the models, but it's no big deal....

works for me. =)
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:38 pm

airkooledchris wrote:some engineer thought it was a good idea, and they could have saved thousands by only making one to cover all the models, but it's no big deal....

works for me. =)
It was an exceptionally damn good idea. The emissions regulations that VW had to meet was so demanding, that they had to get the engine up to temp as quickly and cleanly as possible. We are less frantic nowadays, aren't we? Yes, we are.
Colin