oil leakage question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

oil leakage question

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 pm

She doesn't leak (or I guess more accurately, drips) driving her around town, short trips, etc.However, if I'm on the expressway driving her at 65 mph for an hour or more, I'll get a nice sized spot (about the size of a big silver dollar) at the front of the engine .... I'm guessing the main seal (Colin and I replaced this about 4k ago). It's weird how it doesn't leak/drip otherwise.... even after a 32 mile hwy trip from work won't do it. Any suggestions?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: oil leakage question

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:She doesn't leak (or I guess more accurately, drips) driving her around town, short trips, etc.However, if I'm on the expressway driving her at 65 mph for an hour or more, I'll get a nice sized spot (about the size of a big silver dollar) at the front of the engine .... I'm guessing the main seal (Colin and I replaced this about 4k ago). It's weird how it doesn't leak/drip otherwise.... even after a 32 mile hwy trip from work won't do it. Any suggestions?
That is much more a gallery plug symptom, leaking only under full pressure ....
Colin :shaking:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:39 am

I'd much rather it be a galley plug than a main seal .... it means that the lower end is good, and I can proceed with my top end rebuild with new heads. :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:53 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:I'd much rather it be a galley plug than a main seal .... it means that the lower end is good, and I can proceed with my top end rebuild with new heads. :)
Not so fast. Your lower end will tell you if it is good only after both crankshaft and camshaft endplay checks and a plastigage check of the rod bearings and a visual on the cam lobes ... Gallery plugs that have loosened can cause catastrophic engine failure within a second or so at highway speed. The proper repair involves drilling and tapping the gallery plug hole which must be done with a fully split and disassembled case.
I got off with an Idiot's Free Pass in Winnie Texas when I JB Welded the fallen off gallery plug back into the case, but ... the engine was mortally wounded.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles