Head torque procedure question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Head torque procedure question

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Putting the heads back onto the 1600 dp build. Had to take them off because I forgot to put in the two little pieces of deflection tin under the cylinders, above the push-rod tubes.

I remember at some point some one saying that they alternate sides when torquing their head bolts through sequence. So I got to thinking about that, as I have always snugged one side to spec, and then the other.

I understand the concept, a kinder stress application for the case, but the sequence doesn't mirror on both sides. So it would end up first nut first side closer to flywheel, first nut second side closer to pulley, etc.

Does it still make sense? Perhaps first torque full sequence first side, second side first torque full sequence.

Opinions appreciated.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Head torque procedure question

Post by hambone » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:41 pm

I think this is a gray area of engine assembly. 1,000 flavors of advice. As long as the engine goes in with the proper torque at each head then I think you're OK. How many engines did VW hurl thru Wolfsburg in a day?
I've always done it one side at a time. Hell in a handbasket, yet again.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 am

Yeah you are supposed to alternate sides as you notch up the torque. I don't know if it matters much.
When I replaced one head, I loosened the good head too so I could do it that way.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:03 pm

ruckman101 wrote: I remember at some point some one saying that they alternate sides when torquing their head bolts through sequence. So I got to thinking about that, as I have always snugged one side to spec, and then the other.

I understand the concept, a kinder stress application for the case, but the sequence doesn't mirror on both sides.
Neal, you do the mirror. That means you "defy" the Bentley sequence only like a dyslexic.
right ........... left

Where 1 right is followed by 1 left, then 2 right 2 left etc.
Remember how the Type 1 engine likes to do the bottom four first in the first pass. That's just to get a start on the pushrod tube compression.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Mirror I did. Initial sequence to 7flb, second sequence two passes mirrored at 11flb, mirrored two passes at 18flb, then mirrored three passes at 23flb.

Before I started, I chased a nut onto each stud, and noticed some hung up and wouldn't thread on by hand. So chased the nut up and down and cleaned thread until each and every one was an easy on and off by hand. There were two especially gummed up studs, so put a itty bitty smidgeon of valve grind paste on the thread and chased the nut up and down, cleaning afterward. Seem to work pretty well.

I think I'm glad I left the deflector tin off and had to revisit. I certainly paid no such attention to things the first time.

Thanks for the mirror clarification Colin.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.