Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

Re: Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks for the input, guys! That was the ticket. I moved the ignition wire to the other terminal and with the coil disconnected got the starter to turn and pumped up the oil pressure. Then I reconnected the coil wire and on the first shot, Vana roared back to life like a rabid, hard of hearing tiger on crack...I mean: holy crap, this engine is loud!
After a ~20 min warm up, I went out to get fuel...and subsequently needed a jump (probably too much strain on a battery that hasn't had a good opportunity to charge in 9 months) then drove around for 1/2 hour/30 miles before having the battery assessed at Batteries Plus, where it was pronounced "good".

So, there are some things that need to be dialed in:
-seems to idle pretty high...I plan to play around with that tomorrow
-bit of an oil drip coming from right valve cover...will investigate in the morning, may try using my old valve cover for a bit until I can get new gaskets...
-I plan to do a cursory check for exhaust leaks to make sure that isn't the reason for the "loudness"

Other things noted in the 30 some odd minutes of mixed driving:
- CHT was 300-350.
-Oil pressure never got below 40 and started off at 60 (!)...which I thought unusual...but attributed to the foregone conclusion that my engine has the "Adrian Ball-Valve Thingy"(TM), instead of the stock piston, which I'd requested. I'm used to starting pressures around 40 and then hovering around 20 once hot...maybe creeping around 30 when under load and dropping to near 10 when hot and idling...but maybe that's abnormal. I wonder if that is why he said to use15-40 oil...maybe he meant "all the time" and not just for break in...especially since he broke the engine in in his shop?

Now, I know 30 min. of driving is no time to make a judgement. The analog at this point is: I've just glanced the girl across the room, I'm not married to her yet...which makes me wonder, should I run away with her to Colorado for 10 days? ...seems ill advised, I'll admit, but many of life's richest experiences come from such ideas.

Thanks again for all of the input and assistance.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:11 am

It sounds like all is coming together.

Let me know if you need some help this weekend. Having another Vanagon to compare may be helpful.

I am also curious on the engine specs as I will taking on some rebuilding in the near future.

Keep us updated.
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:27 am

the miz wrote:Thanks for the input, guys! That was the ticket. I moved the ignition wire to the other terminal and with the coil disconnected got the starter to turn and pumped up the oil pressure. Then I reconnected the coil wire and on the first shot, Vana roared back to life like a rabid, hard of hearing tiger on crack...I mean: holy crap, this engine is loud!
After a ~20 min warm up, I went out to get fuel...and subsequently needed a jump (probably too much strain on a battery that hasn't had a good opportunity to charge in 9 months) then drove around for 1/2 hour/30 miles before having the battery assessed at Batteries Plus, where it was pronounced "good".

So, there are some things that need to be dialed in:
-seems to idle pretty high...I plan to play around with that tomorrow
-bit of an oil drip coming from right valve cover...will investigate in the morning, may try using my old valve cover for a bit until I can get new gaskets...
-I plan to do a cursory check for exhaust leaks to make sure that isn't the reason for the "loudness"

Other things noted in the 30 some odd minutes of mixed driving:
- CHT was 300-350.
-Oil pressure never got below 40 and started off at 60 (!)...which I thought unusual...but attributed to the foregone conclusion that my engine has the "Adrian Ball-Valve Thingy"(TM), instead of the stock piston, which I'd requested. I'm used to starting pressures around 40 and then hovering around 20 once hot...maybe creeping around 30 when under load and dropping to near 10 when hot and idling...but maybe that's abnormal. I wonder if that is why he said to use15-40 oil...maybe he meant "all the time" and not just for break in...especially since he broke the engine in in his shop?

Now, I know 30 min. of driving is no time to make a judgement. The analog at this point is: I've just glanced the girl across the room, I'm not married to her yet...which makes me wonder, should I run away with her to Colorado for 10 days? ...seems ill advised, I'll admit, but many of life's richest experiences come from such ideas.

Thanks again for all of the input and assistance.

miz
I rebuilt my engine with Raby parts, and Adrian rebuilt my stock heads with Raby valvetrain components. I drove my bus about 100 miles during break-in. We then proceeded to successfully make a 2,000 mile roundtrip to Florida!
Go for it! And good luck!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:05 am

I agree. Make sure it's turned correctly- timing, fuel, etc.. Fix the silly leaks and then take the trip.

I've shared before a story I'll never forget. Around 84' I had a 1835 built by a then famous builder in S. Ca. I picked up the long block, and installed it in the bug. I babied it back to the shop for him to tune and adjust the carbs. He then drove onto the street, reeved it up to 5k and dropped the clutch, chirping tires in 3 gears. He came back, saw my white, horror filled face and said "she'll do 14's, no problem".

I said, um, what about breaking the engine in gently? He said "naw, if they're going to break, they will right away"..

Have a great trip.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:06 am

poptop tom wrote:I rebuilt my engine with Raby parts, and Adrian rebuilt my stock heads with Raby valvetrain components. I drove my bus about 100 miles during break-in. We then proceeded to successfully make a 2,000 mile roundtrip to Florida!
Thanks for the encouragement Tom. Unfortunately, I'm not going to do the trip in the bus after all...but not because of the engine...because of the brakes.

I had 3 things that were going to be deal breakers for me:

-inability to get the e-brake to work/grab
-exhaust leak
-drippy valve cover

Well, I didn't get past the e-brake. I adjusted it to the end of its range and still no grab...which is strange since it worked fine before we redid the rear brakes. Bottom line: I am out of time to fiddle around on the bus. We will have to take out Jetta Sportwagen and camp in a tent...like normal people...ugh.

Thanks again to all for the support and encouragement...I'm probably not going to make any more posts for a week or so...while I take a vacation from my ACVW.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:28 am

the miz wrote:
poptop tom wrote:I rebuilt my engine with Raby parts, and Adrian rebuilt my stock heads with Raby valvetrain components. I drove my bus about 100 miles during break-in. We then proceeded to successfully make a 2,000 mile roundtrip to Florida!
Thanks for the encouragement Tom. Unfortunately, I'm not going to do the trip in the bus after all...but not because of the engine...because of the brakes.

I had 3 things that were going to be deal breakers for me:

-inability to get the e-brake to work/grab
-exhaust leak
-drippy valve cover

Well, I didn't get past the e-brake. I adjusted it to the end of its range and still no grab...which is strange since it worked fine before we redid the rear brakes. Bottom line: I am out of time to fiddle around on the bus. We will have to take out Jetta Sportwagen and camp in a tent...like normal people...ugh.

Thanks again to all for the support and encouragement...I'm probably not going to make any more posts for a week or so...while I take a vacation from my ACVW.

miz
No, you are going in the Vanagon. It will slowly adjust its own brakes over time, you have plenty of time to play with it during the trip, and who needs rear brakes any way? Bring wheel chocks.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:47 am

Amen! Take the bus...those three things are not deal breakers, they are "enhancements".

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:15 pm

TAKE THE VAN!! I will come by and help. Have van, must camp in van.

PM me if you want.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Hey all, thanks again for the support and words of encouragement! We are out at Blue Mound State Park in SW MN...en route to western Nebraska tomorrow and Rocky Mountain NP on Sunday. So far so good...continue to send good vibes this way!
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Glad it worked out.
You're nearly in my neck of the woods(fields) at Blue Mound...
in the off chance you need anything, holler.
have a great trip!

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:39 am

Sounds like you are traveling in the van, yes?

AWESOME!

I will be heading in your direction Monday. We will be in Yellowstone for the week. Maybe we will cross.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:43 am

Great news! Can we get some pics, please?

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:34 am

I'll reply with more photos when we're back or if I become more adept with photobucket from my phone.
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Mulcheese wrote: We will be in Yellowstone for the week.
...would like to hear how that went!

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Well, we're back from the trip. It was less than uneventful, perhaps a mitigated-disaster, but certainly memorable.

The engine performed well, although there is still a bit of an oil leak that remains to be sorted out.

There is definitely more to the story of the trip and photos that can be shared.

Perhaps it might best be told in: Camping&Fishing or Best/Worst Place You've Ever Broken Down?
I'm not sure how much it really has to do with the engine...so a new thread might be best...stay tuned.

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White