Advice for first time rebuilder

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Post Reply
Flint
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Advice for first time rebuilder

Post by Flint » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:56 pm

I just picked up a 1981 2.0l engine that I would like to rebuild to replace my 1600CT engine in a 1980 Vanagon. The vehicle was imported from France after a couple used it to drive across Canada. Right now I think a model T would pass me on a hill. What I am wondering if I would be better going with 94mm or 96 mm cylinders also is stroking it a good Idea? what I am looking for is a vehicle that is safe able to keep up with a loaded semi on the hills Because my van is set up for the CT engine that was carbureted I will probably staying with a carb but not sure what is involved doing the conversion to FI.

The engine I picked up was told by the seller that it was rebuilt in 2002 and has about 40.000 miles on it. I did a check to see what the crankshaft end play was and with the seal still installed i was getting about 0.007 play. I think that this engine was run hard and it did not have a thermostat installed for the cooling.

Flint
Flint
1980 Type 251CT

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Advise for first time rebuilder

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:13 am

Flint wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:56 pm
I just picked up a 1981 2.0l engine that I would like to rebuild to replace my 1600CT engine in a 1980 Vanagon. The vehicle was imported from France after a couple used it to drive across Canada. Right now I think a model T would pass me on a hill. What I am wondering if I would be better going with 94mm or 96 mm cylinders also is stroking it a good Idea? what I am looking for is a vehicle that is safe able to keep up with a loaded semi on the hills Because my van is set up for the CT engine that was carbureted I will probably staying with a carb but not sure what is involved doing the conversion to FI.

The engine I picked up was told by the seller that it was rebuilt in 2002 and has about 40.000 miles on it. I did a check to see what the crankshaft end play was and with the seal still installed i was getting about 0.007 play. I think that this engine was run hard and it did not have a thermostat installed for the cooling.

Flint
Do you have photographs of the 1600CT engine?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Flint
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Advice for first time rebuilder

Post by Flint » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:28 pm

Hope this works . Here is a picture of the engine still installed.

Bill
Attachments
ct1600.jpg
ct1600.jpg (132.3 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Flint
1980 Type 251CT

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Advice for first time rebuilder

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:25 pm

Flint wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:28 pm
Hope this works . Here is a picture of the engine still installed.

Bill
Well that is a fascinating little thing in a Vanagon. What is the torque / horsepower of that thing?
Your 2.0 will be approximately 80 gross/ 67 net , with 101 ft-lbs torque.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Flint
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Advice for first time rebuilder

Post by Flint » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:10 am

Factory info says 50 HP and 77 foot pounds of torque, but that is probably optimistic. The transmissions gearing is suppose to give a top speed of 65mph at red line.
Flint
1980 Type 251CT

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Advice for first time rebuilder

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:40 am

Flint wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:10 am
Factory info says 50 HP and 77 foot pounds of torque, but that is probably optimistic. The transmissions gearing is suppose to give a top speed of 65mph at red line.
Nope. That is classic Type 1 engine output. They changed the specification in 1973, from gross to net. Your 50 net is actually 2-5 hp better than the last Type 1 buses which were 48 net / 60 hp gross.

As per all the top speed/redline protocols, your 65 mph is not at the redline but rather at the horsepower peak.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Post Reply