Building oil pressure without running engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Building oil pressure without running engine

Post by tractoman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am

I am waking up by bus engine after a several year layoff. I would like to build up oil pressure somehow of possible without using the starter. I assume I can not do this manually with the plugs out rotating the fan and circulating oil?
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Building oil pressure without running engine

Post by asiab3 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 pm

I doubt rotating the fan would do much besides ensure the engine isn't seized… (Of course, we don't use the fan nuts; alternator nut only, right??) Pulling the plugs and using the starter to crank the engine is certainly viable, with a healthy battery and clean electrical/ground connections. I might just spray a tiny bit of oil down the plug holes while they're out too. This will allow oil pressure to build without putting the strain of compression and combustion on the bearings, much like when starting a fresh rebuild for the first time.

Good luck, and welcome!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am

tractoman wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am
I am waking up by bus engine after a several year layoff. I would like to build up oil pressure somehow of possible without using the starter. I assume I can not do this manually with the plugs out rotating the fan and circulating oil?
Long time no see! Sonoma! 2007?

To build oil pressure with the engine off, first remove the filter and fill it slowly and painstakingly with oil. Then screw a 10mmx1.00 threaded barb fitting into the oil sender hole with a hose clamped to the barb and the other end of the hose afixed with a funnel. Pour in slowly about a 1/2 quart. It will fill the cooler and the galleries. Make sure sump has a full charge of oil before this silliness.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 am

It was 2008 my friend and glad to see you continue to circumnavigate the country helping keep these air cooled rigs on the road. I have been remiss with my attention to my bus and can no longer take it. I've got fresh fuel, oil, repaired all the rotted vacuum lines and want to get some oil through this thing before using the starter to turn it over with the plugs out and a little oil in each cylinder. But first, get to clean the mess on top of the cylinder heads that mice have left.
I hate rodents and why is my engine seal not made out of cayenne pepper or something they won't nibble on.
Can I get the top tin open enough to get a vacuum in there with a 1 inch hose?
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:23 pm

Your engine will appreciate spark plugs for the vacuuming event; Colin has great photos of what happens when your engine ingests dirt and grit… :) I also have luck with those long flappy "grabber" tools you see by the checkout stand of most hardware stores.

https://www.grainger.com/product/6TFG2? ... 2447222717!
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:43 pm

Plugs will not be coming out until my little endoscope camera shows me crap free fins.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:24 pm

tractoman wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 am
It was 2008 my friend and glad to see you continue to circumnavigate the country helping keep these air cooled rigs on the road. I have been remiss with my attention to my bus and can no longer take it. I've got fresh fuel, oil, repaired all the rotted vacuum lines and want to get some oil through this thing before using the starter to turn it over with the plugs out and a little oil in each cylinder. But first, get to clean the mess on top of the cylinder heads that mice have left.
I hate rodents and why is my engine seal not made out of cayenne pepper or something they won't nibble on.
Can I get the top tin open enough to get a vacuum in there with a 1 inch hose?
You want to drop the lower tins and use air pressure from below from as many angles as you can reach. Simultaneously, have assistant hold a vacuum hose end over the spark plug holes each in turn. 120 psi is good. Wear your hantavirus mask.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:21 pm

There’s a lot of fret and worry about startup oil pressure , both for cold starts and after rebuilds.

Counterpoint. I just completed a Covid delayed 11 month ordeal on a 5 cylinder inline Volvo engine and promptly clogged the oil pick up with paper towel debris in the oil pan of my own malfeasance.

Engine idled at operating temperature for 15-20 minutes estimated, no oil pressure.

After dropping pan, cleaning out, new oil orings, no damage, knocks, noises.

I’ve seen this about 6 times in life, the point being a bit of lube in bearings at low load conditions will last minutes, even tens of minutes.