77 Campmobile - Front shock(s)?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

buck
I'm New!

77 Campmobile - Front shock(s)?

Post by buck » Mon May 30, 2011 6:22 am

77 Campmobile latest problem - Front shock deterioration.
Installed new KYB-GR2's on the front, after approx 100 miles starting hearing squeaking, clunking noise from right side shock. Inspection revealed no loose bolts/nuts or obvious leaks. Switched shocks (right to left) squeak/clunk noise on right side went away, left side shock (former sqeaky right side) not making squeak/clunk noise as loud (maybe 15% of noise). After approx 100 miles, squeak/clunk noise started on right side again and progressively got worse. Any ideas on what is happenning and why?
77 Westfalia Campmobile
Knowledge is not how much you know, but knowing where to find it. - Albert Einstein

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 77 Campmobile - Front shock(s)?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:45 pm

buck wrote:77 Campmobile latest problem - Front shock deterioration.
Installed new KYB-GR2's on the front, after approx 100 miles starting hearing squeaking, clunking noise from right side shock. Inspection revealed no loose bolts/nuts or obvious leaks. Switched shocks (right to left) squeak/clunk noise on right side went away, left side shock (former sqeaky right side) not making squeak/clunk noise as loud (maybe 15% of noise). After approx 100 miles, squeak/clunk noise started on right side again and progressively got worse. Any ideas on what is happenning and why?
Yep, but you must answer the question honestly . . .

Did you tighten the bolts/nuts with the front end off the ground? Did you use the spacer washer sometimes required?

You must leave them loose until you have lowered the car and stood on the bumper and released. Then tighten. Otherwise, the rubber bushing gets hyper-twisted and tears at the eyelets . . . where you cannot see but can hear the results.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

buck
I'm New!

Post by buck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:09 am

Colin,

Where have you been? What took you so long to answer? I was worried about you.

I always pose questions/answers honestly, otherwise I wouldn't receive accurate responses.

Shock installation procedure: Bus resting on all 4 wheels, remove old shock, install new shock using multi washers to make up difference on mount bolt, tighten top and bottom (not sure of order, probably different for each side).

So you think I might have trashed the rubber bushings? Whats the fix?

Appreciate the help.

Buck
77 Westfalia Campmobile
Knowledge is not how much you know, but knowing where to find it. - Albert Einstein

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 pm

buck wrote:Colin,
Where have you been? What took you so long to answer? I was worried about you.
What ... are we married or sumpin'? Two day turn around is pretty good for the last 440 miles and new center pin bushings and an oil change in 48 hours + social engagement in Cleveland, HAAH?

If the squeaks are indeed the bushings rotating in the shock end holes or sliding on the "eye" that fits over the bolts, then these shocks have a problem. Washers must not touch the rubber or ride against the rubber. Bolts need to be firmly snugged. I use grease between the bolt and the shock or the stud and the shock. If sound is still there when you remove the shocks to experiment, FYI, front end is crying for a lube.
Colin

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Could it be the sway bar mounts? The brackets around the rubber were rusted badly on mine, allowing a bit of movement. The fact that the sound re-appeared on the same side certainly implies something other than the shocks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 am

grandfatherjim wrote:Could it be the sway bar mounts? The brackets around the rubber were rusted badly on mine, allowing a bit of movement. The fact that the sound re-appeared on the same side certainly implies something other than the shocks.
I use the Disassemble Until It Is Quiet method. I have not had experience with noisy stabilizer bar mounts. But I have removed the stabilizer bar in the effort to uncover a tick-snap sound over bumps that proved to be a broken torsion leaf.
Colin