'73 bus steering column/ turn signal

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

'73 bus steering column/ turn signal

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:29 pm

Got the Orange Beast, Obie for short (actually call the bus Red but that’s another story), in dry dock for a few months. Looking to tackle some problems...

My turn signal does not auto turn off, plus it turns, spins at will. The turn signal apparatus has sagged down so that the metal tab does not hit what ever it’s supposed to hit to turn it off.

Also the bottom of the tube that actually encapsulates the steering column is not attached to anything. Kind of clacks all around.

Ok, before I just dive in and start unscrewing disassembling things, trying to get a grasp on how it all works and what’s not working on mine...Any advice?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Steering column/ turn signal

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 pm

chitwnvw wrote: My turn signal does not auto turn off, plus it has sagged down so that the metal tab does not turn it off.

the tube that actually encapsulates the steering column is not attached to anything.
Consult your Bentley to prime your mind.

Turn signal switch must be .040" below the steering wheel hub to allow the self-cancel tab to work. The switch assy has two saddles that grasp the column, you need to file the butt-edges down to allow them to actually grab the tube, same with the housing. Do not please do not strip those screw heads.

Column is bolted to the floor with just two engine sheetmetal screws. There is a plastic bushing to keep the column absolutely electrically insulated from the floor and the bracket at the dash. Keep it that way.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:51 am

The socket head bolt that holds it in place is to the lower left of the plastic housing recessed in a hole can't remember the hex size but it is the same as the 6 sided cv bolt tool. My threads were stripped so i got a longer one and there were enough threads to crank it tight, really tight. It seems to be holding for two days now. 8mm bolt, 125 pitch?

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:56 am

I got it apart, sort of.

Someone used tape on the column. I'm guessing to stop it from sagging in the past.
[albumimg]346[/albumimg]
Is there any good way to fix this?

Does this coupler look like it needs to be replaced?
[albumimg]347[/albumimg]

Then were these at the bottom. One is insulating bushing Colin brought up, I think. The other I think is to affix the column to the base, again, I think, because mine was always loose and the column was free to bang around.
[albumimg]348[/albumimg]

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:04 am

That plastic collar at the right side of the picture belongs at the top of the column where it does indeed help secure the switch assembly.

There is no photograph in the world that can tell us if your coupler is good, a photograph could only tell us that it is bad if there were gross signs. If you see little cracks in it, replace it. It is a fabric/rubber composite, the cracks are rarely serious until it is obvious. Due to the wonderful access you have achieved, replace it now.
Colin