Split Window Rear Camber

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

patayres
I'm New!

Split Window Rear Camber

Post by patayres » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Recently set the rear torsion bars on the '65 Singlecab & am now experiencing what seems like excessive camber. The Bentley calls for 20* spring plate angle (where I set it) & 5* camber (don't have a camber measuring tool). I realize these vehicles are supposed to have some positive camber when empty, but this seems like more than I've seen on other split windows. One other caveat - the s.cab is running BFG K/O AT 215/95/15 meat & I'm definitely seeing the outer tread scrub more than the inner.

OK on to the pics

Rear sag before adjustment.

Nice & level post-adjustment

New (excessive?) positive camber

Interested in hearing what you guys think. Really satisfied with the way the adjustment leveled the bus out & think the meaty tires might accentuate the camber. Tempted to lower the spring plate one spline each way but it's currently set where the factory put it.
1975 Westfalia Helsinki - 1800 EFI w/ Pertronix
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Split Window Rear Camber

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:08 am

patayres wrote:Recently set the rear torsion bars on the '65 Singlecab & am now experiencing what seems like excessive camber.
Your rear axle camber is not adjustable. It is strictly a function of the suspension height. Every rear engined VW fresh from the factory has the front higher than the rear when unladen so that two people sitting in the front will level the fore and aft.

Your unladen rear axle looks a bit high. With swing axles, you truly truly want the rear end to be as low as possible to help prevent rear axle tuck under when cornering. Usually a load will help you out, but if you are driving it empty, be careful to never slow down too dramatically mid-corner.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

patayres
I'm New!

Post by patayres » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks, Colin... I'll take the spring plate down one vernier adjustment & post the results. Must say this job is quite a bit easier on the '65 -- not that I'm looking forward to doing it again :geek:
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:47 am

you probably already tried this, but you rolled it back and forth a little or drove it around a bit after making the change right?

I know with the beetle when I adjusted the rear spring plates I had to roll it around back and forth a bit before it settled into it's new position completely.

if you already knew that or drove it a bit before the 'after' picture then nevermind, just throw some sand bags in the back and your done.

freakin sweet SC by the way, it looks hungry for action with those BFG's....
1979 California Transporter

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 am

More pictures, that sure is a sweet lookin SC!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:06 am

airkooledchris wrote:you probably already tried this, but you rolled it back and forth a little or drove it around a bit after making the change right?
Good point!
:cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

patayres
I'm New!

Post by patayres » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:31 pm

but you rolled it back and forth a little or drove it around a bit after making the change right?
Yeah, I've been driving around with this camber for a few weeks now (it's not my daily driver)... but it was REALLY bad when I first let it down off the jacks!
More pictures, that sure is a sweet lookin SC!
Putting it to use. Took this load of Juniper cuttings to the landfill & brought home about 800 lbs of mulch.

Exploring the Deschutes National Forest

It was originally L345 Light Grey & will be again some day... spent it's life on a farm in Alfalfa, OR hauling rocks, hay, etc. The bed & gates show it's previous life, but I think it just adds character. Not going to restore it to new (it will continue to work) but will do a little bodywork and respray back to L345 rather than two-tone primer. It's extremely dry. I have welded in new floor below the gas tank (PO thought it would be a good idea to punch drain holes into the bed - now welded up) and the battery tray; still need to put in a new front passenger floor section. Great fun and extremely useful (1 ton payload and dropgates!).
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp