lower shock bolts stuck

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

lower shock bolts stuck

Post by skin daddio » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:46 pm

i got around to installing new koni shocks on the rear of my 69 riviera today. the lower bolts are stuck on the old gas adjusts. i tried pb plaster on them and lovingly beat them with a hammer and block of wood but they aren't budging. fortunately i had two spare bolts and correct washer sets, but i'd like to get these out. wondering if its up to a press. is this a common thing, any suggestions?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:21 am

What about heat? Propane torch.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:31 am

checked samba threads and that is totally the ticket.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:36 am

Congrats on the Koni's? I haven't had a chance to grab those. I used PB plaster and a long piece of pipe. I just pus really slow and they cam right off.

Go for the heavy duty swing arm next. I love mine.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 am

i've had the shocks on the shelf for years and finally got around to putting them on and through a series of unfortunate events the bus isn't running. i went to reset the dwell, and being maintenance minded i reefed down the screw holding the vac can. but the screw was out for a reason. put in all the way it shorted on the points. in response i put a thin nut between the washer and the vac can to act as a spacer. now, i'm with symptoms of a massive vac leak, and went to sleep with the bus not running. pisser how things spiral out of control like this, amazing! didn't even get to the test drive for the shocks.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 am

skin daddio wrote:i've had the shocks on the shelf for years and finally got around to putting them on and through a series of unfortunate events the bus isn't running. i went to reset the dwell, and being maintenance minded i reefed down the screw holding the vac can. but the screw was out for a reason. put in all the way it shorted on the points. in response i put a thin nut between the washer and the vac can to act as a spacer. now, i'm with symptoms of a massive vac leak, and went to sleep with the bus not running. pisser how things spiral out of control like this, amazing! didn't even get to the test drive for the shocks.
I've been there. Every time you go to fix something, something else you were prepared for falls a part. Well, at least you know what's wrong while it was parked at the garage. Better to find out there than on the road some where.

From what I hear the shocks are great! I thought my swing arm install was going to be easy, but of course I ended up having to drill out one of the bolts. 30 minute job turned into a 3 hour job.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:14 pm

hey that's for sure. i just went to sleep and fixed it in the morning. sleep is the best tool in the box.

now i'm back from cottage grove and gonna spin in my new shocks. could be cool, could be cool. then i'll get the torch on the old shocks and see what happens.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:55 pm

skin daddio wrote:hey that's for sure. i just went to sleep and fixed it in the morning. sleep is the best tool in the box.

now i'm back from cottage grove and gonna spin in my new shocks. could be cool, could be cool. then i'll get the torch on the old shocks and see what happens.
I grease the heck out of the bolts and nuts when I put on shocks so I can get them off next time. Do not tighten the bolts or nuts until thecar is settled on the ground at correct ride height. This prevents torsional deterioration of the new shocks' bushings.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:15 pm

cool, cool. i did the whole deal without lifting the bus, and working around mudflaps. still easy. btw, the old shocks went in with the bolts stuck on. i got away with used shocks for three years until the left finally gave it up.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 pm

skin daddio wrote:hey that's for sure. i just went to sleep and fixed it in the morning. sleep is the best tool in the box.
yeah thats the truth....a good nap can solve all kinds of puzzlers
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."