73 super steering wheel moves alot

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Dub Owner66
I'm New!

73 super steering wheel moves alot

Post by Dub Owner66 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:33 pm

my uncle gave me a 73 super in pieces. the steering is just crap. i dont know what bushings go where or any thing. i did not take it apart. i dont have many parts to this car. i plan to restore it and drive it daily. it is not in the gear box and the front end had a rebuild in the 90s but has not been driven since 98. also when i jack it up i use up all the jack and the wheel is still not off the ground :scratch: does it need new struts?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 73 super steering wheel moves alot

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Dub Owner66 wrote:my uncle gave me a 73 super in pieces. the steering is just crap. i dont know what bushings go where or any thing. i did not take it apart. i dont have many parts to this car. i plan to restore it and drive it daily. it is not in the gear box and the front end had a rebuild in the 90s but has not been driven since 98. also when i jack it up i use up all the jack and the wheel is still not off the ground :scratch: does it need new struts?
I like the fishbowl Superbeetles. The curved windshield helps to make the nose less bulbous.

Get a Bentley manual to see where these parts all go and how to get them there. Superbeetles are famous for shimmies, I suggest that you try to find good VW bushings for the idler arm, and track down all points of play. Your McPherson front suspension has lots of travel, keep jacking.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles