Torsion Bar Adjustment

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

veedublover12
I'm New!

Torsion Bar Adjustment

Post by veedublover12 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:42 pm

I have been pondering, and building up the guts, for quite awhile to tweak the torsion bars on my 1969 Type 2. The back end of my bus is starting to droop noticeably, a lot of people asked me if I raised the front or lowered the back. When non VW enthusiasts notice you know it is time to do something.
I have heard that the job is not super hard to do, but I heard the same thing about pulling my engine and the first time I pulled my engine it took me 3 days to get it out and back in! I don't want the same thing to happen when trying to fix the saggy back end. While doing some research I stumbled across these:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C10%2D4077

This option is definitely easier than the whole procedure of adjusting the torsion bars.
Does anyone out there recommend bolting a coil over on as a method to fix a sagging back end?

If not does anyone have any tips or advice to adjusting the torsion bars?
Isaac T.
Love & Good Road

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:56 am

I would not go with the coil-over shock option. My understanding is that stiffening the rear axle on a Bay window Bus could lead to dangerous handling at the limit (like snap-oversteer). The factory set up the suspension for the best compromise between safe handling, ride, and load carrying capability. It's best not to mess....

That said, I've never attempted the torsion bar adjustment. From what I've read, it's a bit tricky because the range of adjustment using the splines at just one end of the bar is too coarse. You have to go multiple splines in one direction at one end, while going multiple splines in the other direction at the other end to get it just right. And, knowing how many splines to move is trial and error.

Post a picc of your Bus sitting on the level. We'll be the judges of whether it's got a saggy butt!!! :cyclopsani:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:52 pm

vwlover77 wrote:I would not go with the coil-over shock option. My understanding is that stiffening the rear axle on a Bay window Bus could lead to dangerous handling at the limit (like snap-oversteer).
vwlover77, you are becoming an IAC Deputy Technical Editor. Good reply.

It is an involved operation, but not terribly difficult. I'd recommend an Itinerant Air-Cooled visit to guide you through, but that would be crass.
Colin :king:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

veedublover12
I'm New!

Post by veedublover12 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:29 pm

I'd recommend an Itinerant Air-Cooled visit to guide you through, but that would be crass.
Are you suggesting having someone come over and help me with this project? Because that would be cool...

Here is a picture that my wife took when the fuel filter stopped working on a road trip

You may be asking yourself why the back tire is super black, that is because I photoshoped the white wall out because it plays tricks on your eyes. All 4 tires are the same size (185 90R14 I believe) and all the shocks are pretty new KYB Gas adjust.
Isaac T.
Love & Good Road

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote:vwlover77, you are becoming an IAC Deputy Technical Editor. Good reply.
Thank you! I'm trying to absorb as much as I can!

I made some edits to your picture to give us a frame of reference. Your wife did an excellent job of taking a perfectly level photo!

I don't think your Bus is showing too much sag. There are a few things to note:

1. Having no rear bumper on your Bus makes it look more saggy than it is. I've "painted" one on and I think it looks a lot more level.
2. The rear wheel arch being lower than the front makes a Bus appear saggy even when it isn't.
3. The Bus is designed to be a little bit "nose high" when empty. You can see by the straight blue section between the wheels that it is really not that far off. If you and your wife were sitting in the front seats, I bet it would be perfectly level.

I don't think it's worth worrying about. I'd be more concerned about getting a bumper on there! :cyclopsani:

Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

veedublover12
I'm New!

Post by veedublover12 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 am

Wow! That is pretty cool. I never thought about editing the photo like that. And your right I should get a rear bumper. Thanks for your advice. :bounce:
Isaac T.
Love & Good Road

Matt G
I'm New!

Post by Matt G » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:39 pm

Veedublover12,
Those gas shocks will push the front end up (relative to the back end) accentuating the saggy look.

Here is an engaging technical discussion of the procedure:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... nt&start=0

Some pics of what's involved (look for Glandnut - Torsion bar adjustment on a 69 Bus, dated 5 Aug 04):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... &start=720

The Atwell site also has a section on the utility of coil overs and the torsion bar adjustment procedure.

Regards,

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:29 pm

veedublover12 wrote: Are you suggesting having someone come over and help me with this project? Because that would be cool...

Here is a picture that my wife took when the fuel filter stopped working on a road trip.
That car is definitely sagging. If you compare the rear wheel (metal part) to fender distance with any publicity photo of a fresh early bus, you will see this bus is low. Is there a lot of stuff in the back?

I'd love to help you set it up, but as a crass individual, I have to charge you for my time under the aegis of Itinerant Air-Cooled. Worse yet, I make you do all the work. To learn, my boy, to learn.
Colin :pirate:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I'd love to help you set it up, but as a crass individual, I have to charge you
Bourgeois.