Center Pin Bushings II

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 am

Dang! I just checked out the place you mentioned and it IS the Febi and it's MUCH cheaper than I paid. Oh well. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.bustoration.com/Swing-Lever- ... p_880.html
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

jmstu76
Getting Hooked!

Post by jmstu76 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

I can't seem to find the thread to Part I. Does anyone have the link to it?
James
1976 2.0L FI with Hydraulic lifters

Edmond, OK
(405) 623-2191

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 am

"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Center Pin Bushings II

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:22 pm

I did the center pin fix today and it was pretty easy. I just used a old socket the fit the bore to drive out the old bushings and install the new ones striking it with a brass hammer. I used the Meyle kit which left my steering nice and tight for the drive down to Maupin on Friday.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:30 pm

if you can get your hands on factory bushings - they can be hard to find, they are tighter than the FEBI ones and the steering will be tighter. I am down to about 5/8" freeplay now with a NOS centerpin kit compared to about 3/4" with the Febi set however the bus is still too affected by the wind of a passing SUV or gust. I find myself wandering more than I ever did in my 1971 deluxe. An 8-10 MPH quartering wind in this 1977 bus is about equal to what was a 20-25 MPH quartering wind in my 1971. Not really sure where to go next on this one but wanted to report back on the NOS link after our trip to Lassen this weekend. This bus also seems to lean more than the 1971 did. Maybe I just weigh more in my old age :)
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 am

My steering is plenty tight, in the 3/4" range. I want to take it in for a alignment check now as going down the freeway its hard to find the sweet spot of just going straight. I wonder what the toe in is set at. The extra height with the top makes the bus catch the side winds alot more than a tin top IMHO. A larger sway bar does help.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

renobdarb
I'm New!

Post by renobdarb » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Just finished this job and went for a test drive. Man, I can sure feel a difference. There was even a cross wind and I can say the bus handles a lot better than it used to.

I took about four times as long as Colin to do this job, most of it was spent back and fourth from the computer to re-check this article. I must say I couldn't have done this job without it, or for that matter, even have known it needed to be done without Colin saying so, so thanks to him for all of that!

I do have a busted up finger from a miss while whacking with the BF hammer, but that'll heal in due time.

My old parts all had VW stamps on them, however there was no retaining clip on the bolt at the top of the pin and top bushing was misaligned in the shaft (the hole was about 160 degrees off). I'm wondering if these have been replaced before...

Just a couple notes: I found that a 13/16" spark plug socket was perfect to pound out the old bushings, and the socket surprisingly survived the drubbing quite well. I think it's probably more precise than grinding the old center pin into a driver, but I still used the old pin to get the new bushings started. Also, as suggested by another poster, I used a bottle jack instead of a C-clamp to push up the center pin when removing and installing the bolt. It worked great.

Anyway, one more job off the checklist. Thanks again to Colin for the great article!

Onward...
1978 Campmobile, 2000cc w/hydro lifters, dual Weber 44 IDF carbs (50 idle jets, 115 main jets), SVDA distributor w/Compufire.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:26 am

Ok, some quick help needed!

I'm about to install my Febi center pin kit (literally, in minutes).

My bushings have no holes in them for grease. What they have are "V" shaped grooves on one side of the inner bushing. Grease will be able to enter here.

My question: Do I still need grease holes drilled into the bushing? And if so, should I assume to do so on the side opposite the "V" groove?

Quick replies are welcome!! :flower:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 am

poptop tom wrote:Ok, some quick help needed!

I'm about to install my Febi center pin kit (literally, in minutes).

My bushings have no holes in them for grease. What they have are "V" shaped grooves on one side of the inner bushing. Grease will be able to enter here.

My question: Do I still need grease holes drilled into the bushing? And if so, should I assume to do so on the side opposite the "V" groove?

Quick replies are welcome!! :flower:
No holes? Febi? I would put holes in exactly opposite the split. These are split bushings to allow them to compress into the hole as you drive them. Chamfer the holes both inside and outside. When I do the initial grease gun lubrication on freshly installed bushings, I do it while turning the steering from side to side to both help get grease in, air out, and to rinse any bushing driving debris out. Here, the more the merrier applies.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 am

Colin,

This is a Febi kit.

We just measured the top bushing O.D. and it measures around 1.070 ". The new Febi bushings measure 1.155" O.D.

What the hell?

And there are no splits in the bushings. The "v"s were cut into the interior to (more than likely) allow grease in.

It seemed I have a nice fit with the old pin and bushings when pulling things apart.

This sucks. Apparently they like to make all kits differently, given the day. :shaking2:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:12 pm

poptop tom wrote:Colin,

This is a Febi kit.

We just measured the top bushing O.D. and it measures around 1.070 ". The new Febi bushings measure 1.155" O.D.

What the hell?

And there are no splits in the bushings. The "v"s were cut into the interior to (more than likely) allow grease in.

It seemed I have a nice fit with the old pin and bushings when pulling things apart.

This sucks. Apparently they like to make all kits differently, given the day. :shaking2:
Did you accidentally get the split window solid bushings that you have to ream?
Colin

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:56 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Colin,

This is a Febi kit.

What the hell?

Did you accidentally get the split window solid bushings that you have to ream?
Colin
Mmmmaaaaaayyyybbbbbeeeeee I did :scratch: Maybe I forgot to put an A on the end of the part number.................

So to get me home from my shop, I left the old bushings in (the old center pin looked in pretty decent shape.) And used the new split center pin. I mixed and matched (new and old) as far as all of the other parts.

Got it together. Drove it home. Felt a bit better.

And now that I know how to do the majority of the procedure, I'll order the correct parts and make this a winter project. I must say, I do feel like an idiot. I haven't ordered wrong parts too many times previously....

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Hello Everyone, just thought I would resurrect this Thread with yet another "I just finished this job report." 1978 High Top Camper, Used the Febi kit. Followed Colin's directions except used 20mm socket to drive out old bushings with hammer. Reassembled everything and immediately destroyed the threads on the original center pin retaining bolt and the one supplied with the parts kit. UGH!! Just got in too big of a rush. I picked up another bolt at the local hardware store today and spent some quality time on my back finagling and caressing the bolt into the hole and past the slot on the center pin. Other than that slight malfunction all went smooth. Now this old 78 High Top Bus handles like a race tuned Porsche Suspension...well almost anyway. Thanks Colin for the Key Board tutorial :study: on doing this relatively easy job that yields such positive results. :cheers:
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida
1978 High Top Camper, 2.0L, FI
1969 Squareback,2.0L, T-4

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Hello Everyone, just thought I would resurrect this Thread with yet another "I just finished this job report." 1978 High Top Camper, Used the Febi kit. Followed Colin's directions except used 20mm socket to drive out old bushings with hammer. Reassembled everything and immediately destroyed the threads on the original center pin retaining bolt and the one supplied with the parts kit. UGH!! Just got in too big of a rush. I picked up another bolt at the local hardware store today and spent some quality time on my back finagling and caressing the bolt into the hole and past the slot on the center pin. Other than that slight malfunction all went smooth. Now this old 78 High Top Bus handles like a race tuned Porsche Suspension...well almost anyway. Thanks Colin for the Key Board tutorial :study: on doing this relatively easy job that yields such positive results. :cheers:
You are welcome. And it would be bad manners on my part to yet again mention ... ... ... :
The nicely cleaned slot in the relay lever will help you visualize and align the cut out in the center pin so that the 19mm bolt-with-new-tab-washer can make it through the relay lever without stripping. It should go in easily and start threading with no drama.
... ... ... because, obviously, you did have drama. So for those of you who love a little drama rush, there is one "save the day" tip, I might add here:

If you do botch up the bolt threads, or more dangerously, the relay lever threads, grease then start the remaining good bolt from the back of the relay lever and drive it in until the end sticks out right where the bolt head/lock plate will be going shortly. This will restore the threads for your next mandatory :cyclopsani: successful installation.
Colin

alolesen
I'm New!

Post by alolesen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:23 am

Is there a re-assembly description, with pictures, similar to the dis-assembly description shown in the Center Pin Bushings I post?