72 Bus Steering Knock

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

72 Bus Steering Knock

Post by Sluggo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:34 pm

The other day when I was pulling out I heard a loud knock and the steering loosened up slightly. Now I get a knock when I rock the steering back & forth. Bottomend and I took a look at it and we were convinced it was the little ball joint in the drag link. I pulled the good drag link from my '73 and put it on the '72. I still have the same knock plus now my steering is out of alignment.

Any suggestions?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Steering Knock

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Sluggo wrote:The other day when I was pulling out I heard a loud knock and the steering loosened up slightly. Now I get a knock when I rock the steering back & forth.
Check the pitman arm right where it comes out of the steering box. Have someone rock the steering wheel while you push up on the pitman arm at the front drag link ball joint. If the pitman arm clicks, you can try to adjust the box a bit. But 1972 and earlier buses can develop a knocky box after nasty impacts. Don't adjust the steering box too far, no sticky on-center allowed. Udderndat, the center pin bushings can make everything feel knocky. Jack the center tie rods up with a bottle jack, just enough to preload them a little, knock gone? There you are.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Re: Steering Knock

Post by Sluggo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:35 am

Amskeptic wrote:Check the pitman arm right where it comes out of the steering box. Have someone rock the steering wheel while you push up on the pitman arm at the front drag link ball joint. If the pitman arm clicks, you can try to adjust the box a bit. But 1972 and earlier buses can develop a knocky box after nasty impacts. Don't adjust the steering box too far, no sticky on-center allowed. Udderndat, the center pin bushings can make everything feel knocky. Jack the center tie rods up with a bottle jack, just enough to preload them a little, knock gone? There you are.
Colin
I felt it in the pitman arm. But found some slop in the draglink so we assumed that was it. Probably a combination.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------