'71 bus loose steering column

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

'71 bus loose steering column

Post by DjEep » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:06 am

The steering column in my 71 is loose, as in it can be wiggled forward and backward a bit in it's shaft. Is this caused by "colin's coke can bushing"?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: loose steering column

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:50 am

DjEep wrote:The steering column in my 71 is loose, as in it can be wiggled forward and backward a bit in it's shaft. Is this caused by "colin's coke can bushing"?
Yep. I just picked up a real one from a junked '72. I don't know about it, looks kind of delicate. I think the diet coke bushing might be more robust. The spring under the steering wheel helps to press that bushing between the bearing and the actual steering shaft, that's what centers and quiets things down.
Do check your column support screws, four at the housing (phillips) and a couple of carefully torqued 10mm bolts with breakaway washers.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBerd
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBerd » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:07 am

please explain.
what is this coke can bushing? where does it go?
1977 VW Westfalia Campmobile
2.0L Engine
Fuel Injected
Manual Transmission

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:56 pm

BusBerd wrote:please explain.
what is this coke can bushing? where does it go?
http://www.sluggoproductions.com/iac/viewtopic.php?t=80

:flower:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

westy78socal
I'm New!

Post by westy78socal » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:24 pm

DjEep wrote:The steering column in my 71 is loose, as in it can be wiggled forward and backward a bit in it's shaft. Is this caused by "colin's coke can bushing"?
I've noticed a similar problem. Now all the screws to check are on the outside of the bus underneath? Or is there a way to get the steering off from the inside?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:28 am

westy78socal wrote:
I've noticed a similar problem. Now all the screws to check are on the outside of the bus underneath? Or is there a way to get the steering off from the inside?
Hunt with your intuition. Wiggle the steering wheel while you look in the vicinity of the column support under the dashboard. If the column support is stationary while the wheel clunks forwards and backwards, you might be looking at the upper steering bushing, it is a small little item subject to wearing away without lubrication. The bushing is directly under the spring that is pushed down by the steering wheel. Mine was in three pieces when I first accessed it. The Diet Coke can bushing is holding up very well.
Colin