tight steering?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

crosswind
I'm New!

tight steering?

Post by crosswind » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:22 pm

Greetings all!

I've been having a persistant alignment issue for some time. Without going into great detail, it feels like something is too tight with a slight pull to the right. Just doesn't float down the road. Demands full attention while driving with our typical winds on the interstate. Always correcting one way or another.

Some days are great! And then the next is just miserable. Sometime depends on the wind. Really!

Everything looks good on the alignment sheet. All components on the front beam are new. Yokohama 356's.

Did raise the rear to correct the sag. But alas, was in too much of a hurry and did not plan to replace the bushings.

Could this be my problem?

Thanks
68 deluxe
71 deluxe
79 westy

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:34 am

No I dont think the rear bushings are the issue this sounds like it's in the front. Did you get new ball joints? if so they are sometimes tight new and take some time to loosen up.....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: tight steering?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:31 am

crosswind wrote: something is too tight with a slight pull to the right.
Lack of lubrication in the center pin or an out-of-position sealing ring under the swing lever. . .
Tight new ball joints. . .
Too much negative camber in the front (must be positive 1/2* or better)
Binding tie rod ball joint, boots can look perfect, try to twist the tie rod, it should move stiffly with your hands as a wrench but not be impossible
Check wheel bearing play and tire pressures 30 psi min

You don't have to do everything on this list, just let it help guide you.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

crosswind
I'm New!

Post by crosswind » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:28 pm

It's been close to 15,000 miles since I rebuilt the front end. Should have loosened up by now. New Nakata ball joints and tie rod assemblies. New center pin, damper and steering box.

Going to recheck the alignment again this weekend.

Also am considering using a tire balancer at work also. It's a Hunter model that will not only balance and road force your tires, but will also measure the radial pull of the tire and tell you where to put it on the vehicle. Maybe I've got a tire pull issue. Seen it before on other cars. This could never happen to ME.
68 deluxe
71 deluxe
79 westy

crosswind
I'm New!

Post by crosswind » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:56 am

Problem Solved!

Installed new torsion bushings and did an alignment. Still found the right camber and toe to be out of spec. I could get one or the other into the green, but not both. Got creative and placed 2 wavy washers on the upper bolts between the spring plate and bearing housing to decrease the negative camber. This brought the toe and camber into spec.

On the front, I removed the previously installed adjustable tie-rod on the left and put in a fixed one. Adjusted toe with the drag link removed and then centered the steering box. Everything is in the green.

I guess that something is bent on the right/rear of my bus. Had already swapped out the diagonal arm with another with no change. Would not expect it to the the bearing housing or the spring plate. But it does drive better than it has in the last 3 years. Steering wheel level and a very neutral feeling going down the road with almost no drift.

I've been working on this issue for the last few years off and on. Finally got it right.
68 deluxe
71 deluxe
79 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:42 pm

crosswind wrote:Problem Solved!

Installed new torsion busings and did an alignment. Still found the right camber and toe to be out of spec. I could get one or the other into the green, but not both. Got creative and placed 2 wavy washers on the upper bolts between the spring plate and bearing housing to decrease the negative camber. This brought the toe and camber into spec.

On the front, I removed the previously installed adjustable tie-rod on the left and put in a fixed one. Adjusted toe with the drag link removed and then centered the steering box. Everything is in the green.

I guess that something is bent on the right/rear of my bus. Had already swapped out the diagonal arm with another with no change. Would not expect it to the the bearing housing or the spring plate. But it does drive better than it has in the last 3 years. Steering wheel level and a very neutral feeling going down the road with almost no drift.

I've been working on this issue for the last few years off and on. Finally got it right.
Thank you for reporting back to us. Check that the spacer washer you used does not shift.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

crosswind
I'm New!

Post by crosswind » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I wouldn't think that the washers will shift. The rear suspension bolts are going through them.

Can't understand why I didn't think of this sooner. The bus now rides like it should. Will do an extensive test drive to Buses By The Bridge this upcoming weekend.
68 deluxe
71 deluxe
79 westy