Greasing the Center Pin

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Greasing the Center Pin

Post by vwlover77 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 am

Greased the front axle in the '78 Westy recently. As usual, it was EXTREMELY difficult to pump grease into the center grease fitting. I kept pumping until finally grease started coming out of the small hole in the cover plate.

Is this normal, or an indication of a problem?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Greasing the Center Pin

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 13, 2019 5:17 am

vwlover77 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 am
Greased the front axle in the '78 Westy recently. As usual, it was EXTREMELY difficult to pump grease into the center grease fitting. I kept pumping until finally grease started coming out of the small hole in the cover plate.

Is this normal, or an indication of a problem?
It is especially normal for a tight center pin. When the pin/bushings wear out and make your car a terror on a windy day, it will be easier to grease. I like to move the wheels from lock to lock as I strain mightily to pump grease in there. The BobD of course, glides from lock to lock with only a little pushback from the steering damper. Many other VWs give me more of a fight with new ball joints and tie rod ends and drag links.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Greasing the Center Pin

Post by asiab3 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:25 am

Once in a blue moon I find a Zerk fitting that isn't performing at its best, and benefits from a sharp and clean dental pick push on the check ball. Of course, keeping the Zerks clean and protected (brake bleeder caps work exceptionally well) helps their longevity and performance too.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.