1978 VW Bus, manual FI 2.0 - CV Joints

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

1978 VW Bus, manual FI 2.0 - CV Joints

Post by khargis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:56 am

Hello all. It has been a bit, but now that the ground is no longer frozen and the sun is peeking out, it is time to get some work done. I have a question or questions regarding CV joints for my bus. As of now, I am not getting any noise or signs, but my boots have tears in them and although I have kept them lubed up, I feel it is time to give some love to the CV's. Should I just replace the boots or should that be determined when I get in there. I have never pulled these off, so I am a newby in this area, but I look forward to the task! Is there a preferred brand that y'all would recommend? What else should I look for while I am in there? Thank you for any feedback and hope this finds all y'all very well!
Kris
'slow n' steady'

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: 1978 VW Bus, manual FI 2.0 - CV Joints

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 am

I would recommend just replacing the boots if there are no other warning signs. I found this job to be easier than expected, but MESSY! I'm sure there's a write-up on this forum somewhere on how to do this, but I can't find it at the moment.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:37 pm

khargis wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:56 am
Is there a preferred brand that y'all would recommend? What else should I look for while I am in there? Thank you for any feedback and hope this finds all y'all very well!
Preferred brand? Anything not EMPI!

Seriously, though, the Lobro ones available from Van-Cafe or Bus Depot are OEM quality.

Or you could go for the tuff stuff and install the Rockford boots from T3 Technique or Go Westy. I have no personal experience with the Rockford boots, so I can't say whether they live up to their claims of longevity.

Other things to look for? Make sure you have the crescent-shaped retaining plates in place and the right tool to remove the CV bolts (could be either an Allen hex or a 12-point "3-square" tool). If the bolts that you have are rounded in their drive sockets, it's worth springing for new bolts as well.

Get a packet of Shnorr washers of the correct size. The usual VW parts sources grossly overcharge for these things. Grainger or McMaster-Carr would be a better bet for them.

Oh, and lots of disposable rags. CV grease is one of the most tenacious products you can imagine. It sticks to everything.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback y'all! I appreciate it.

kh
'slow n' steady'