When turning the steering right or left there is a loud pop.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

When turning the steering right or left there is a loud pop.

Post by energyturtle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Hello. I am new to front end mechanics and needed some advice. When I am driving or stationary there is a loud pop that also causes the wheel to move about an inch or a inch and a half without the wheels turning. There is already play in the steering wheel. This issue makes the wheel "jump" around past the initial play. I adjusted the wheel bearings and repacked, which made this issue more pronounced. When the pop happens it loses its ability to steer the wheels for a moment then catches back up. I looked under the front end and the popping is coming from where the steering box connects to the knuckle (if I am translating the part correctly). My question is, what is the part and its function, and how do I go about fixing it? As always, all help is appreciated.

Scottie

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Re: When turning the steering right or left there is a loud

Post by energyturtle » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:38 am

I looked under the bus today. Tie rod ends look awful, and passenger ball joint is leaking grease from torn boot, steering dampner looks OG. How much bearing to these have on looseness and handling?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:01 am

energyturtle wrote:I looked under the bus today. Tie rod ends look awful, and passenger ball joint is leaking grease from torn boot, steering dampner looks OG. How much bearing do these have on looseness and handling?
Total.

If you have a skip in the steering, look at the flange between the box itself and the rubber coupler. That flange is held to the splined steering box shaft with a pinch bolt. If this gets loose, it only lets go under load about an inch or two at the box. Check it carefully.

Is there play at the tie rod ends, or are you just freaked at the boots?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:11 am

There don't seem to be much play at the ends. The boots are just 40 years old and nasty. I will check the bolt when I get home. Thanks Colin.