Shocks

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mattg
Old School!

Shocks

Post by mattg » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:05 am

I am going to put new shocks all around later this spring. I have read about Konis but Im not sure if they are worth the money. German made Boge? Looking for a little feedback as to what everyone else is running and some positive and negative feedback on different shocks.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:13 am

If for no other reason, the lifetime warranty on Konis is worth the price.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:03 am

KYBs, I like em'. Very good ride.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:29 am

Let your habits be your guide. If it is a weekend putterer, the Boges can't be beat. If it is a farm truck, KYBs are good. If you are a road warrior, the Konis or the KYBs are fine.
Colin

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:14 pm

I ordered some shocks from bus depot. My next question. Is there anything special I should know about installing them. Is it as easy as jacking up the side im working on and taking the old one out and rebolting the new shock? Any other tips would be appreciated.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:49 pm

That's basically it. One problem you may run into is the metal bushing of the old shock may be rusted damn near solid to the stud. Some penetrating oil and maybe some heat will help if that happens. I was able to use vice grips and determination to twist the old bushing off mine. Also make sure to see if there are any special mounting instructions on the specific shocks you bought. When I installed KYB's on my bus the fronts were to be mounted at an angle (can't remember exactly the angle, 45° I think) and the lower nut tightened. Then the shock rotated into place on the top bolt to compensate for suspension rotation during compression over bumps.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:49 am

Don't jack the bus up. Or if you don't fit underneath, only jack up enough to fit.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:14 pm

DurocShark wrote:Don't jack the bus up. Or if you don't fit underneath, only jack up enough to fit.
These cars normally sit so high in the front that the Westy78 tip is the one to use. Or you can sit two people in the front and install the shocks while they listen to the radio.
Colin

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:02 pm

I just finished installing the Konis on my 73 Riviera. It was pretty straight-forward, and I've never done it before. I just loosened the top nut, then the bottom, then took both of them off. On the front, it was much easier to rebolt the top first, but on the back, I had to do the bottom first to get the right angle. There was no jacking up involved. I just used a ratchet on the tops up front and bottoms in back, and a ratchet and crescent wrench on the bottoms on the back and tops in front (gotta hold the nut still, of course).
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu May 10, 2007 12:06 pm

My bus has recently gone all wobbly after hitting potholes. It may be time for me to gather some new shocks. Now then: I would like Konis, but I would like a lot of things. My taste runs towards German Boge shocks, but, to be honest, I cannot afford those either.

I can afford KYBs, I have had KYBs on my bus for over a decade so I think this may be a good opportunity to replace the front KYB Gas-adjusts with the KYB GR-2 for a softer ride.

Anyone here have any personal experience with the GR-2 shocks?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 11, 2007 7:07 am

static wrote:My bus has recently gone all wobbly after hitting potholes. It may be time for me to gather some new shocks. Now then: I would like Konis, but I would like a lot of things. My taste runs towards German Boge shocks, but, to be honest, I cannot afford those either.

I can afford KYBs, I have had KYBs on my bus for over a decade so I think this may be a good opportunity to replace the front KYB Gas-adjusts with the KYB GR-2 for a softer ride.

Anyone here have any personal experience with the GR-2 shocks?
I was Gas-Adjust only for 13 years. They had no serious affect on riding quality. Ride is subjective of course, but I make no decisions based on what my butt thinks. I put on whatever gives me the best chance of maintaining control of the vehicle in an emergency.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri May 11, 2007 12:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I was Gas-Adjust only for 13 years. They had no serious affect on riding quality. Ride is subjective of course, but I make no decisions based on what my butt thinks. I put on whatever gives me the best chance of maintaining control of the vehicle in an emergency.
Colin
Of course if you're uncomfortable all the time, the emergencies come more often...

:geek:

There is a balance between comfort and control. My exploder is way in the comfort zone, with little control in emergency situations. I need to stiffen the shocks A LOT to get where it needs to be.

My bus with Nokians and Konis is just fine.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri May 11, 2007 1:01 pm

I just ordered the KYB GR-2s for the front of my bus from Le Bus Depot.

My butt is very important to me. I carry it with me wherever I go.
However, I always lead, and my butt follows behind.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:47 am

Update!

The GR-2's are fine and a lot more comfortable. The Gas Adjusts that I took off the front were, despite being >10 years old, were in perfect working order.

By the way, KYB's also have a lifetime warranty.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:56 pm

I've got GR-2's on the front of my Westy, mostly 'cuz I got them near-new for free when I was working at the DDB and teh old ones were shot. Type 3 front & rear is the same as late Bay front as far as KYB is concerned .. for whatever that's worth.

Hey, I outta remember to check the shocks on T3's and IRS Beetle rears when I see 'em in the wreckers, maybe I can find some Konis or Bilsteins that way. Hmm... wonder if 924 Porsche uses teh same shock?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!