Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Early Bay Box Dis/ReAssembly

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:53 pm
Wolfgang International in Redding, CA has a machinist who bores out the boxes (as long as the part number ends in F. No E boxes allowed...) and installs silica-bronze bushings for the output shaft, not cheap.
Robbie
How not cheap?
ColinInPocatelloID
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:41 am

Wolfgang rebuilt boxes are $300 plus a $200 refundable core charge. I am dropping my box she’ll and pitman shaft off in person and having them complete the machine work when I drive through in two weeks. I don’t need them to do the rest of the box rebuild, as I have fresh seals and my “by feel” adjustment has left no additional wear in the box after four years of hard driving.

Hopefully it will be less than $300, but at this point I’d just like the clunk to stop.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:47 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:41 am
Wolfgang rebuilt boxes are $300 plus a $200 refundable core charge. I am dropping my box she’ll and pitman shaft off in person and having them complete the machine work when I drive through in two weeks. I don’t need them to do the rest of the box rebuild, as I have fresh seals and my “by feel” adjustment has left no additional wear in the box after four years of hard driving.

Hopefully it will be less than $300, but at this point I’d just like the clunk to stop.
Robbie
I'd be curious how it goes after the installation of this bushing and then your reassembly. My box is still pretty tight. I disassembled it and it looked great inside with no obvious wear. I replaced the seals, cleaned and repainted it. Colin did his magic on the final adjustment. It still has a bit of a clunk to it.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

adam.achtereekte
I'm New!

Post by adam.achtereekte » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello,

I'm rebuilding a box very similar to yours, but the bearings are missing. Do you know where I can purchase a re-build kit that comes with seals and bearings?
Attachments
20170624_104951.jpg

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 am

adam.achtereekte wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 pm
Hello,

I'm rebuilding a box very similar to yours, but the bearings are missing. Do you know where I can purchase a re-build kit that comes with seals and bearings?

No such convenient luck.
You may need to match up dimensions and order bearings based on size. The seals seem readily available and we have the sizes already posted here.
Colin

adam.achtereekte
I'm New!

Post by adam.achtereekte » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 am
adam.achtereekte wrote:
Hello,

No such convenient luck.
You may need to match up dimensions and order bearings based on size. The seals seem readily available and we have the sizes already posted here.
Colin
Thanks for the response.

Update :
I went to my local bearing distributor and picked up the required seals, but they could not get a bearing that fits at the bottom of the worm gear.
Do you have a part number or any idea where I could find one?

-Adam.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:46 am

adam.achtereekte wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am
Amskeptic wrote:
adam.achtereekte wrote:
Hello,

No such convenient luck.
Colin
Thanks for the response.

Update :
I went to my local bearing distributor and picked up the required seals, but they could not get a bearing that fits at the bottom of the worm gear.

-Adam.

I do not, but the internet is a vast emporium of part numbers.

What has indicted the bearing that is already there? Looseness? It is preloaded by your shimming and adjustments, so only damaged races or balls/rollers would require replacing it.
Colin

adam.achtereekte
I'm New!

Post by adam.achtereekte » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:59 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:46 am
adam.achtereekte wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am
Amskeptic wrote:
adam.achtereekte wrote:
Hello,

No such convenient luck.
Colin
Thanks for the response.

Update :

-Adam.

I do not, but the internet is a vast emporium of part numbers.

What has indicted the bearing that is already there? Looseness? It is preloaded by your shimming and adjustments, so only damaged races or balls/rollers would require replacing it.
Colin
I have had no such luck finding part numbers... I'll keep searching.
The bearing races are pitted from corrosion, and balls missing.
I will post in this forum if I come across a part number or alternate solution.

Thanks!