Tire siping

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Tire siping

Post by whc03grady » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:33 pm

Does anyone have opinions on tire siping, one way or the other? Academically, it seems to me that it's either mildly worthwhile or worthless. But the real question would be, is it dangerous?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Tire siping

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:36 am

whc03grady wrote:Does anyone have opinions on tire siping, one way or the other? Academically, it seems to me that it's either mildly worthwhile or worthless. But the real question would be, is it dangerous?
Mildly worthless.
Modern tread design is a science. My biggest concern would be the integrity of the tread blocks over time, particularly with braking effects causing them to wear with little bevels in the braking direction.

I have a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on the BMW and find that they are siped nicely because that is a requirement of good snow/ice/slush/rain traction. But the summer tires in their list do not have sipes, not as an economizing move, but for tread support in performance applications.

The advertising and proponents of siping seem to promise you a lot. That makes me a little skeptical at times. . . do we have long-term results yet?
Colin

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:28 am

Both the Blizzaks and Nokians I've had were siped from the factory, and they performed outstanding in snow and ice.

The problem is trying to find a way to compare how they would do without the siping, or if it'd designed into the tread from the beginning... IE: The siping is just one component in the overall design to provide good traction.

If I had tires that weren't siped and couldn't afford new tires, I might consider it.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:22 am

I'm all for tires that are factory-siped; I suspect (most) tire manufacturers know what they're doing. But since the only information I'd ever heard on siping non-siped tires came from, ta-da!: a place that makes money siping tires, I was naturally skeptical. I think it probably voids the warranty also.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com