Looking for some tires.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Looking for some tires.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:53 am

Hello everyone long time no post but I am also looking for a recommendation for tires for my 71 Westy. Size and make. I don't daily drive Sam anymore so they don't need to last 50,000 as I doubt I will ever drive Sam like I used to.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:48 am

I found Hankook Optimo H724 all season tire 195/70R14 90T at Walmart for 62.56. I may get those.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:48 am
I found Hankook Optimo H724 all season tire 195/70R14 90T at Walmart for 62.56. I may get those.
From Google review ...

Beware! Affordable price. Poor quality.
a month ago
Within three weeks of installing a set (4) of these tires, I had experienced a catastrophic failure while traveling at ~ 60 mph on the interstate. I am certain I am experienced no hazard for it was my driver's side rear tire that failed. The driver's side front tire was not damaged. The left, rear tire failure essentially fell apart, having separated from the outer/inner walls. No plausible reason other than extremely poor quality. Hankook representative could only offer 50% credit towards my next purchase, but it required an Hankook authorized dealer which was inconveniently located. I utilized Walmart's 100% guarantee, returned them, and replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler Radial P235/75R15 105S OWL Highway tires which have performed superbly thus far.
CatastrophicFailureAt3wee · Reviewed on walmart.com

Walmart.com ad pictures misleading
5 months ago
The tires themselves appear to be good quality and are an excellent price for the mileage tire that they are but the Walmart.com pictures for the H724 are misleading because they appear to be a black wall tire when they are actually white wall tires. The item description details actually say it but the picture is misleading. Bought two for my dad and he just had them mount them with the black wall side out which is good enough for his old truck, but I would have returned them if they were for one of my vehicles.
Midlander · Reviewed on walmart.com
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 112,885 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 78,899 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:47 am

Sylvester wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:53 am
Hello everyone long time no post but I am also looking for a recommendation for tires for my 71 Westy. Size and make.
Nokian Hakka Van D in the correct size (185R14) and load range (102)
https://www.amazon.com/185R14-100S-Noki ... B00VZKJV04

I'm sold on Nokian tires. Have them on all my vehicles. I have the Hakka Van C tires on my Vanagon.

Not sure when they decided to call them 'D'. Of course, with Amazon these days the ones on that link coud be total counterfeits. But see if you can find the genuine Hakka C tire close to you.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett