Age old brake drum question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Age old brake drum question

Post by DjEep » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 pm

So, I've got a stuck-on drum on the '79. Cylinder in that wheel is toast. I did what my forum searches recommended, which was PB blaster and a rubber mallet. I've been Blasting and wailing for a week, with no result. Shoes aren't stuck, just the hub.

What angle should I be hitting from? Would a puller work, as I don't see any edge for the "grabby" type to grab, and a bolt on wouldn't work like on wide 5's, as the studs aren't part of the drum.

wuddaIdo?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Put down the rubber mallet. You need the hard shock of a 2 pound hammer. Wail on it where the face meets the circumference. Right on the corner of the flat face and the round part. If it breaks so be it. I've never broken 1, have dinged up that corner though. If the drum stops turning while wailing on it your shoes prolly have to be backed off more.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Yup, beat the snot out of it, like Bill said. :blackeye:

It'll come off. I once read about someone sticking a punch into the star adjuster hole, and whacking it from that direction. Anti-seize is your friend, on the reinstall. :cherry:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:50 am

Got it off with some more PB, a whole lot of whacks with the mallet, repeated rhythmic tappings with a metal hammer, and a whole lot of rocking and twisting and pulling and shaking.

Now what I found underneath is a whole different story. The leaky cylinder melted the shoe linings, which now coat the whole assembly with a toxic chunky black paste.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?