Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by Sluggo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:27 am

Bus Depot Brake Rebuild Kits. - Most of the parts don't fit and some are completely missing. Buy the parts you need individually. It will cost a little less than buying the kit and all the right parts afterwards.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:36 am

Please note: post 1973 bus has 14mm thick brake pads, FLAPs and others will try to sell you 10mm thick pads for the earlier '71-'72 buses. Same thing with rear shoes. Earlier buses have thinner shoes than later. Demand the correct thicknesses.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:38 pm

Sluggo, do you mean the springs etc? I've tried using em' before, terrible aftermarket crap. Does anyone still make German? I threw away the last new ones I bought for a Beetle because they were so bad.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:14 pm

hambone wrote:Sluggo, do you mean the springs etc? I've tried using em' before, terrible aftermarket crap. Does anyone still make German? I threw away the last new ones I bought for a Beetle because they were so bad.
Yep. It's a little bag with springs, pins, cups, etc... I used the springs and 2 of the pins (for some reason you get 2 short pins and 2 long ones). Everything else was junk. My pins and springs were rusty. But I kept em' just in case. The rest of the stuff in the bag is completely useless. Won't even fit. And you need to buy stars and the part they attach to seperatley. The Stars, Shoes, Drums & Cables I got from them seemed good though

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:01 pm

I posted on the samba last year what part # of pins I found to work. Do a search of my posts and I am sure that you can buy a god set of pins w/o having to spend days looking through bins. I know I found them at auto zone. let me know if you still need help on this. I know I have an extra set somewhere with the part # on it.
Best Regards,
John

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Please note: post 1973 bus has 14mm thick brake pads, FLAPs and others will try to sell you 10mm thick pads for the earlier '71-'72 buses. Same thing with rear shoes. Earlier buses have thinner shoes than later. Demand the correct thicknesses.
Colin
68-70 rear shoes are 45mm.
71 up are 55mm.
But 71 shoes are one-year-only.

68-70 211 609 537 C [subbed to E]
71 211 609 537 J
72-mid 73 211 609 533 B up to vin 2x3 2102 496
73-79 211 609 537 N from vin 2x3 2102 497

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 pm

karl wrote:
71 211 609 537 J
72-mid 73 211 609 533 B up to vin 2x3 2102 496
Karl, is the difference between '71 and the '72-mid'73 just in shoe width?
Colin

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun May 24, 2009 7:42 am

Add CIP1.com's brake line kit to the list of awful parts. Every single line in the kit is too long. Some can be compensated by simply looping the line, some others are so long they would run from one side of the Bus to the other. Not worth the time or effort, you could just go to your FLAPS and buy lines that aren't even close to the right length. Here's a pic of the lines they say are for the front, along with the factory originals I'm replacing. Terrible.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun May 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Replacement brake lines are only made in certian lengths usually incremented by 10 or 12"....If you want custom lengths buy a double flaring kit and learn to use it.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 24, 2009 7:47 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:buy a double flaring kit and learn to use it.
Exactly! It's easy, it's fun, it's the right thing to do. Get a bender too.
Colin

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:59 am

Meyle Brake Light Switches. Both of mine failed in a few weeks. One actually leaked fluid from the terminals. OG switches from 1976 still work great.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 am

Hiya All,

And adding to Sluggo's comments regarding brake switches (above) I'd like to add that EuroMax brake switches are questionable at best. I have now had two sets of three prong switches leak. Interestingly, they leak THROUGH the switch with the brake fluid exiting from the plastic prong holding disc.

I heard from a friend in Australia that his set of EuroMax switches actually worked "in reverse" of what I've described above. In his case they allowed air into the system. In either situation this is a case of shoddy parts having a direct impact on your safety!

The real problem here is that if you are in the market for brake light switches EuroMax is almost always what you are going to be offered. They are carried and sold by most parts houses. Worse yet, they are stamped with the VW-Audi logo. Beware!

I have just ordered ATE or FTE German switches. Quite hard to find and they cost four times as much as the EuroMax. I'll let you know how it goes with them.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by hambone » Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 am

Aftermarket brake adjusting stars...
Adjusted the brakes a few weeks ago, but there is randomly too much pedal during hard braking. I see that a BRAND NEW adjuster has split into the threads from one of the "valleys" of the star. Not sure of country of origin but they were CHEAP.
Of course it's a back brake too. Oh joy.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 09, 2012 7:37 am

hambone wrote:Aftermarket brake adjusting stars...
Adjusted the brakes a few weeks ago, but there is randomly too much pedal during hard braking. I see that a BRAND NEW adjuster has split into the threads from one of the "valleys" of the star. Not sure of country of origin but they were CHEAP.
Of course it's a back brake too. Oh joy.
Need more info, Hammie. Where did you get these adjusters? Were they "brass"?

satchmo
Old School!

Re:

Post by satchmo » Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya All,

And adding to Sluggo's comments regarding brake switches (above) I'd like to add that EuroMax brake switches are questionable at best. I have now had two sets of three prong switches leak. Interestingly, they leak THROUGH the switch with the brake fluid exiting from the plastic prong holding disc.

I heard from a friend in Australia that his set of EuroMax switches actually worked "in reverse" of what I've described above. In his case they allowed air into the system. In either situation this is a case of shoddy parts having a direct impact on your safety!

The real problem here is that if you are in the market for brake light switches EuroMax is almost always what you are going to be offered. They are carried and sold by most parts houses. Worse yet, they are stamped with the VW-Audi logo. Beware!

I have just ordered ATE or FTE German switches. Quite hard to find and they cost four times as much as the EuroMax. I'll let you know how it goes with them.
Maybe Colin has a report on how these brake light switches are holding up. The ATE/FTE switches are available from AirHead Parts at 4X the price of the EuroMax ones.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius