'63 notchback pulls left when braking

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

'63 notchback pulls left when braking

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:54 pm

This is an old problem, but I thought I'd try and add to the forum.

My 63 notch has front drums each with one wheel cylinder per drum. When braking the car would pull left.

The problem ended up being a sticky wheel cylinder on the 'RIGHT' side of the car. I tore apart both wheels and found the boots on the right side torn and the cylinder not working properly when applying the brakes. I took apart the wheel cylinder and literall pulled it all apart and just cleaned it, nothing more.

Upon reassembly the notch stops nicely and straight, no swerve to the left. Eventually I'll need to get new wheel cylinders, but for now a good cleaning of everything and lube of everything worked just great.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:42 pm

Its amazing how well thought out these designs are.....also a testament to give that extra bit of elbow grease to keep things working properly.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '63 notchback pulls left when braking

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:00 am

Adventurewagen wrote: My 63 notch braking the car would pull left.
problem wheel cylinder on the 'RIGHT' side of the car.
took apart the wheel cylinder and just cleaned it, nothing more.
notch stops nicely and straight, no swerve to the left.
Makes sense.
We used to attack hydraulic brake parts with more confidence in the old days. Ever rebuild a master cylinder? Perfectly doable with a little care.
I used to hone wheel cylinders with 400grit wrapped around a socket on an extension, just wind it in for a 45* hatch, then reverse your wind. Clean and reassemble. Adventurewagen, do you remember VW dealer's wheel cylinder paste? That stuff really helped repairs last.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:06 am

I did get the paste, I had a single tube left from a repair kit I got a couple years ago.

I also need to do my master cylinder which is leaking slightly. New ones for the 63 are not cheap. I think I'll give that one a go sometime once I get the bus back together and the notch back in the garage and out of the rain.

I'd like to see pictures of what you described with the sand paper? Can't picture it exactly in my head.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:59 am

Adventurewagen wrote:I'd like to see pictures of what you described with the sand paper? Can't picture it exactly in my head.
Gutted wheel cylinder.
6" 3/8 drive extension with a socket on the end of it that is just smaller than the id of the wheel cylinder.
Wrap the 400grit wet/dry sandpaper around the socket so you have a nice tight grip on the socket.
Wind the extension/socket through the wheel cylinder with a spiral twist so it leaves a nice 45* hatch on the inner surface of the wheel cylinder. Follow the same tracks as you go in and out.
Now reverse direction (if you were winding clockwise, go counter-clockwise at an opposite 45* hatch.
Clean thoroughly.
Howzzat?
Colin

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Adventurewagen wrote:I'd like to see pictures of what you described with the sand paper? Can't picture it exactly in my head.
Gutted wheel cylinder.
6" 3/8 drive extension with a socket on the end of it that is just smaller than the id of the wheel cylinder.
Wrap the 400grit wet/dry sandpaper around the socket so you have a nice tight grip on the socket.
Wind the extension/socket through the wheel cylinder with a spiral twist so it leaves a nice 45* hatch on the inner surface of the wheel cylinder. Follow the same tracks as you go in and out.
Now reverse direction (if you were winding clockwise, go counter-clockwise at an opposite 45* hatch.
Clean thoroughly.
Howzzat?
Colin
Just realized....that's what we did to my rear drums a year ago...sweet!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:54 pm

spiffy wrote: [Just realized....that's what we did to my rear drums a year ago...sweet!!
It is an effective strategy for all kinds of surfaces. . . :flower:
Colin